1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My 1980 XJ650 Project - Not Easy

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Palmer650#2, Mar 30, 2016.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Non YICS engines 1 1/2 is baseline.

2. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

Thanks guys! I will set the mixture screws to 1 1/2 turns out to start. I'm going to synch and Colortune anyway. Excited to try out my Morgan Carbtune Gauges and Colortune plug!

I got the carb boots, carb rack, and air box boots installed today.

3. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

@waldreps and k-moe...
    Thanks for the correction.

Gary H.

waldreps likes this.
  4. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Gary,

I only caught it cause I happened to be reading through Len's wealth of information at the time. I'm surprised that my head wasn't spinning too much to even comment...lol...lots of information to soak in.

Stacy

5. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Lol. I'm glad you caught it.

Gary H.

waldreps likes this.
  6. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

First Startup! I tried starting the bike but the battery would drop to 11 volts when I hit the button. Got a new battery installed and the bike fires up on the first blip of the button and ran without stalling. :)

I'm going to synch it now since it's hiccuping every 10 seconds. Then Colortune!!

Alan63 likes this.
  7. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

Well... I went to start up the bike with the freshly charged battery and all I got was a "click". I checked voltage and its reading over 12v when starter button is depressed. I took apart the starter and two of the commutator plates were badly scorched and deformed, brushes are worn down to nubs, and one of the brush springs was melted and broken. I have another starter from my 1982 XJ650 and tried to swap the armature and brush assembly plate over to the starter on my 1980 XJ650. I can't seem to get the gears to line up right though during reassembly. Does anyone know if swapping starter parts is doable from a '82 to an '80? I noticed there are some notches in the housing on the '82 that aren't on the '80. Please help!

8. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

Ok, so thanks to Len I learned that I can swap starter parts from the '82 xj650 parts bike to the starter in this bike. The parts bike's armature and commutator were in great shape as well as the brushes and plate so I swapped them over. Once I had it all cleaned up and put back together the bike started right up. I used wet or dry sandpaper on the commutator and polished the copper with some brass/copper cleaner I had. I'm going to try to synch the cabbs tomorrow w the Carbtune gauges. Hopefully I can keep it running long enough to tune it. :)

rocs82650 and k-moe like this.
  9. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

The bike stayed running and I was able to do an initial synch with the Carbtune gauges. However it hesitates when you blip the throttle, then revs a second afterwards. What would cause this lack of throttle response? It's like it bogs then catches fuel. Would a Colortune smooth it out? I haven't performed one yet as I just got it running again.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

It's a bit lean on the idle mix screws

Palmer650#2 likes this.
  11. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

That would explain the popping I'm hearing too! It's not constant but every 10-15secs

12. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

I set the float Heights on my bench with a level on the carburetors. I hooked the carbs up to the gas tank and put gasoline in them while they were on the bench, and made sure the fuel levels were each 3 mm below the carb body. However when I checked the float height with the carbs on the bike with the bike on the center stand, The fuel level is right at the screw heads which holds the bowl on. So the fuel levels are lower when installed on the bike, is this normal?

13. k-moe

Yes it would.

14. k-moe

Yes. The bike is not perfectly level, but the fuel levels are specd' with the carbs level on the bench. If you remeasure closer to where the pilot and main jets are, you will find the fuel level to be correct.

rocs82650 likes this.
  15. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

Update: I installed the custom 16" brake line (compliments to Xj4ever) from the MC to the union joint and bled the brakes. Changed the oil because it smelled like gas due to sticking float needles which since have been replaced. I actually found the middle gear oil drain plug this time and drained it as well.

Next I took the bike to my friends garage out in the country and away from neighbors so we could color tune it and not worry about revving the engine for an hour fiddling w the idle. After a frustrating time of adjusting the pilot screws and being confused by the lack of color and excessive popping in the combustion chambers (carb spray produced no vaccuum leaks), I finally ditched the Colortune plug and just turned each screw out to 1 3/4 turns. Wow, the bike sounds amazing and stopped popping/back firing, and the idle stopped "hanging". It's slightly on the rich side but I prefer that to lean and popping. I hooked up the Carbtune gauges and synched it to perfection. Oh man it's butter smooth now!!

Next I installed the correct length clutch cable (Xj4ever) from the 550 model to fit with my flatter bars. I took it out for a ride and my goodness does it have loads more power now that the valves are adjusted and carbs are zestfully clean with all new o-rings and vaccuum leak free! It revs so smoothly to 8k and everything feels right with the world. This has been over a year of hard work and money spent to get this bike purring again. Thanks to all you gurus!!

The bad news: the headlight just quit and I don't know what to do. :) any help is most appreciated. Love you guys!

16. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

Are there any links to instructions on how to trouble shoot the headlight not working? All other electric seems to be functioning perfectly - blinkers, brake lights, neutral light comes on, and bike fires up at the blip of the starter and runs smooth through all Rpms.

17. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

image.jpg Here is my XJ currently. With non working headlight.

18. Palmer650#2

Palmer650#2 Member

image.jpg

DrewUth likes this.
  19. DrewUth

DrewUth Active Member

I like those tires!

20. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Nice bike. I like the crash bars or case protectors, whatever they're called.

DrewUth likes this.