1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

So Let's Build "Fishbone" His Dream Chopper ... Right!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by RickCoMatic, Aug 9, 2007.

1. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

"RickCo, what do you know about Choppers"
    "I always wanted to learn how to fly one."
    "No. Not a Darn-it 'Copter. An X-J Chopper!"
    "I got 'nothin. Never built 'nuthin but a stock bike."
    "Is there anybody who knows?"
    "Yep. Some darn good Chopper-builders in here."

"OK ... Let's ask them; then!"

hey guys,

here's what i want to do. i would like to rake the front end 2 to 4 degrees forward if i can. i dont want to have to cut my bike up. can i just switch front ends from a different bike to get this. also i would like to put a bigger rear tire on it. maybe 2 sizes bigger from stock. i have seen a set of straight bars in my dennis kirk book that i would like to put on this bike. is there any mods i would have to do for this since they do list it for yamaha. oh by the way my bike is an xj1100. also would like to put forward controls on it. how hard is this? i need everyone's help to get my bike the way i have it in my mind. oh also want to lower bike 1 to 2 in would this hurt anything as far as clearance. thanx in advance cause i know we can all help each other. also do have an extra wiring harness for this bike if someone needs it PM, Fishbone. RickCo's coffee-boy on ChopperBuilding.

Here's how I run for Coffee ...
    ALL Blacks ... all the other stuff on the side. Build your own cofffee; too!

2. Stinky

Stinky Member

Years ago I saw what has turned into a white whale for me. I was just browsing on ebay and came across a triple tree that had something like a 3 degree rake built in to it. The top of the tree would be similar to stock and the bottom just a slight difference to rake the fork tubes out without any mods to the frame. I think it was from the 70's era of horrible looking bikes that actually made some creative parts. Now I want that part and can't find anything like it. I've pondered having parts machined to do what I want. Good luck on finding what you need. I'm sure you could find a harley/chopper ork with more rake than ours. I just have not researched enough to see those forks would fit thru an xj headtube.

I had some drag bars on a 650 and tey hit the tank on a good turn. Maybe 2 in risers would help with that. I don't know. My solution was to swap out to apehangers. I'm sure somebody else can weigh in on this one.

TCbroschoppers.com makes an assortment of forward controls for older jap bikes. He does have a set for the xj60 that mount off of the engine mount bolts. If the 1100 has that same configuration it would be a good fit. If not, I'd suggest youemail the guy and ask him if he would consider making a set for an 1100. It seems like it would be something he might be interested in.

Lowering the bike an inch or two shouldn't be an issue. I know there are several of us in the 3 inches lower range with no problems. You talking about going hardtail or finding shorter shocks? God luck and I'm already excited to see the bike you create.

3. fishbone

fishbone New Member

hello all, just a little note for an update. a buddy found a front for my bike just waiting for winter. just another stupid question. do all these max's have to use these pain in the a## wiring harnesses. everytime i turn around and about the time i think it can go out either the lights die or the bike dies? i asked another bud of mine and he told me that we do in fact have to use it where i want to rip out this harness and wire it like a hd. it's already starting to look like one might as well wire it up like one if i can.. i know u guys know more than i do so help out a newb to these bikes. i moved over from riding rice rockets. thanx fish

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Lights and bike going dead can be as simple as checking those Alternator Brushes. 11mm or Longer. Not that long ... replace them!

5. fishbone

fishbone New Member

rick, got the suggestions looked at all u told me to. brushes are good. did add inline filter and bike stays running now thnx for that help. i do have a new fuse panel in the bike replaced the old one. now for another question. turn signals? they all 4 flash when hazards are on. but when turn the switch to left or right lights come on just no blink. i've went thru this thing and cleaned all contacts good and all grounds good, what the h am i missing,this thing is being a pain. thnx fish

6. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I have no "harness" in my bike, I wired it all myself. There are no relays or safety switches at all. I will not suggest you unhook or bypass any safety feature. I only say that it can be done. Get a diagram from the Haynes manuel, and a spool of wire, and solder away.

7. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Triple tree with 5" rake:

Attached Files:

8. DodgeitRamit

DodgeitRamit Member

Bike looks great!! Where did you come with the 5 degree rake?

9. FinnogAngela

FinnogAngela Member

Dunno - bike´s not mine, unfortunately 8)

Found it in a danish forum and asked the owner, where he got it - but as of yet no answer.

he may have got it custom made (=$$ - especially if he got new inner fork tubes as well)...

10. SaltyCITYXJ550

SaltyCITYXJ550 Member

I can tell you already that the very cool looking bike above has had the frame modified to allow the additional rake angle. If you look close in the picture and compair it with stock you can tell the difference. Great idea fishbone on making a cool chopper out of it. I'd like to do the same with mine. I just wish I had a bigger engine than the 550. I will most likely strip mine down for a minimalist look.

11. worm

worm Member

- Don't know much about choppers, but..... I know there are several sets of custom forward controls on ebay for short $$$.