1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cams and chain, what have I done?!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Kristofer Thaler, May 22, 2016.

  1. Kristofer Thaler

    Kristofer Thaler New Member

    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Bay View, Wisconsin
    Hey all, I was replacing a leaking gasket and cleaning the engine. When I went to put everything back together, my cams dont seat properly. The lobes contact the shims and don't let them fall into place. What do I do?
     
  2. Big swede

    Big swede Active Member

    Messages:
    184
    Likes Received:
    51
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Gothenburg,Sweden
    Hi! The cams won't just fall into place, you will have to tighten them down bit by bit, just make sure your timing is right before you start, or you will end up with bent valves....
     
  3. k-moe

    k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

    Messages:
    19,697
    Likes Received:
    6,787
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    The City of Seven Hills
    What he said.
    Get theee a service manual.
     
  4. Kristofer Thaler

    Kristofer Thaler New Member

    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Bay View, Wisconsin
    I do indeed have the service manual. Didn't say a damn thing about this! I will check it out
     
  5. k-moe

    k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

    Messages:
    19,697
    Likes Received:
    6,787
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    The City of Seven Hills
    Cam installation is covered in the service manual, and setting the cam timing is also covered.
     
  6. Kristofer Thaler

    Kristofer Thaler New Member

    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Bay View, Wisconsin
    I
     

Share This Page