1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How fast have you gone on your XJ?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by jon3s3y, Sep 5, 2007.

1. jon3s3y

jon3s3y Member

This is not a bragging thread, I am just curious...

I just moved up from a xs400 to a xj700x and I was soo tempted to test the power that I was driving on the freeway at abour 75mph. Then I decided to see what she could do... In a blink of an eye I was up to 107 and then took it back down to 75 pretty quick...

So how fast has everyone gone? Even just hitting it for a second like I did. Supposedly my bike has a top speed of about 129 according to a cycleworld article from 1985, I'll never hit that speed...

2. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    back when i was in the Air Force (and a local city cop) i was running down US 283 from Lake Altus to town (Altus) and laying on the tank, with my feet on the rear pegs, i pegged the speedo at 85...

to avoid explaining to the OHiP why he had an 81 xj driven by a cop jammed into the trunk of his cruiser i sat upright and applied a judicious amount of brake before the two of us got 'intimate'...

d

3. MGM8675309

MGM8675309 Member

Wish I knew, speedo only goes to 85. I'd guess at least 100 if not 110.

4. redneckzombi

redneckzombi Member

I think "85+" is going to be the answer for most of us, haha.

smeagol21b likes this.
  5. jon3s3y

jon3s3y Member

haha oh yeah, I forgot that before 1985 or something like that most only went to 85!! damn... thought this was a good topic.

6. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

My XJ700N Got up to 98 on a private access road once.
    Bud of mine came up next to me on his brand new HD Softtail and wanted to show his a_ _ , when I looked down and saw how fast I was going in a gusting crosswind, I got right out of it.

What was I thinking?

7. Fraps

Fraps Member

Mine tops out at 150kms/hr (about 92 mph).

8. jeepsteve92xj

jeepsteve92xj Member

Ive been up to zero so far. Still working on it a bit at a time. But - the question of after market speedometers comes to mind. Those acewell speedo from elecrosport.com are good to 180mph(or so).

I wonder how fast my bicycle speedo is good for? It is also programmable with a magnetic pickup. At best Id guess its good for maybe 99.

For that $130, if I need either a speedo or tach, Ill be ordering one.

Steve

9. XJturbo

XJturbo Member

A couple months ago, I was riding down this awesome, flat country road in the middle of nowhere out here in the country.....and decided to go wide-open in fifth....since I replaced my gauges with a Canadian version that goes up to 150, I wanted to see what this turbo was all about top-end wise.....I stopped at 125, as redline was getting quite close, and spec-sheets say 127 is top. It took no time to get there and I was surprised how the bike was handling at that speed which was good. I won't be doing that for a long, long time as deer around here are quite plentiful.

-Nick

10. TaZMaNiaK

TaZMaNiaK Member

Yeah, what he said.. :lol: :lol: I've had the speedo pinned @ 85 and the tach making out with the redline in 5th.. I don't know how fast it was, but those cars sure were whipping by fast :D

11. Earl-R

Earl-R Member

My Speedo runs up to 140 MPH. I ran mine up to 95 the other day before backing off. I decided I didn't want to be splattered over the Hwy.

12. TaZMaNiaK

TaZMaNiaK Member

How'd you get to zero? The speedo has stop pins at zero and 85... And those magnetic bicycle speedos are only accurate up to 30mph-ish. Over that and the magnet is whipping by the sensor so fast it doesn't always trigger it, and you get a false reading. The sensors in those only count 1 pulse per revolution (about 6 feet on the 19" front tire). The senders on stock and aftermarket electronic speedometers typically generate 3-5 pulses per FOOT for maximum accuracy

13. RangerG

RangerG Member

I've had mine up to about 180 KPH(111 MPH). Front end was getting twitchy and it wasn't going to pull any more RPM.

14. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Ditto the pegged speedo on the '80 XJ650 before I sold it. Had just ran the valves, synced carbs and colortuned it. Probably the best that bike ever ran and hopefully still does !

15. kickstand

kickstand Member

I have had all my bikes over 85 but the fastest I have ever went on 2 wheels is when a Bro stop by with his 2004 750RR and let me take it for a ride. There a road just a little bit from me that is strait for a couple miles and there is no ditches and trees on eather side so if I would lose it there's nothing to hit. From a dead stop to 142 or so and back to a stop to clean out my shorts in less than a mile. My buddy said the top speed is about 180 now thats fast for a stock bike.

16. dinoracer

dinoracer Member

Ohh where do I start. Hmm Ok 1982 Seca 550,I do not have an actual speed but I did and still do have a built fj 600 motor with a wiesco 652 kit with lots of engine work plus Works perf. shocks with a calfab swingarm. Hmm about 135 in turn 8 at Willow springs. Ohh BTW these bikes are great when the pavement is smooth but when it gets bumpy, IE when I had to try a different line due to the closing speed on someone who had a mechanical and decided to stay on the inside. I went outside and upset the bike. LOCK TO LOCK headshake. all I remember was being spit off and sliding on my back FOREVER!!!!!. I think I am stopped only to find out that I am still doing about 60 MPH and start tumbling down the racetrack. All I want to know is how the heck my bike wound up on the INSIDE of the turn. While I was sliding on my back, I look over to my right and see my bike doing cartwheels in the dirt, yup those dreaded end over end carwheels. I start thinking to myself that the roach is finally dead. (The bikes nickname was the roach since we tried to kill it and couldn't.) Well I wait until the crash truck comes over to me and get the bike back to my pit and realise that the only damage other than scrapes and the fact that the fairing is in parts, is that the oil gallery plug had ground away. Lay the bike on it's side and some JB weld and all is good with the bike. .. Until the 4th lap out of a 6 lap race of the next day, I am running in second or third and the bike just dies!!! NOOOOO!!!!, well that turned out to be the pickup coils that broke in the crash, that damage didnt show until it was nice and warm!!!!
    But to answer your question on how fast, Dont know for sure but we were hauling some serious tail!!!!!!! My best lap time for Willow Springs was a 1:34 and this was back in 1997 on equipment that was made 15 years before that on dunlop K591's that were on stock rims. Rear was a 120 and the front was a 100. I think that works out for an average lap speed of 97 MPH. Dam I miss those days.

17. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I don't know.

The tach was right on the Redline in fifth .... and my Speedo said 83 or 84 ... how ever much it goes up to.

The Rev Limiter is on the Bench getting wired. I'm out of Heat Shrink and I'm not Cobbing this Job up even a teenie-bit.

18. olebiker

olebiker Member

200 km on the xj1100. Twas nice and solid but the fine here would be more than the bike is worth. The 1100's are quick.

19. XJ4Keeps

XJ4Keeps Member

Either there is something wrong with your speedometer, or there's something wrong with your bike. A stock Seca 650 that is well tuned should top out at around 120 mph (190 kms/hr). If your bike is running well, and you don't have a bunch of weighty add-ons (touring accessories, fairings, etc.), have your speedo checked. If you weigh over 400 pounds, disregard this post. :mrgreen:

20. LincsTriker

LincsTriker Member

I've had 95mph out of my trike, There was probably a little more in it. Mailny sits very happy at 70mph (6500 rpm) on the motorway, with still plenty left for pulling past other vehicles. (I do have a rev limiter, The Wife!! She doesn't like it above about 75mph!!)

Not bad considering unladen weight is 340kg!!!!

Lea