1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help identifying connectors

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bryce, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Bryce

Bryce New Member

Hey all,

I recently picked up an 82 maxim 750 for a project bike. I'm in the process of starting to put it back together (some of it came in boxes already torn apart), but can't figure out a couple of electrical connectors. One is a round connector single wire that is red and white wire, and comes out right by the battery and the positive terminal harness. 1st picture. The next one is a black wire that I assume is ground coming off of the gas tank. It. Has a female spade type connector and the wire is solid black but I can't figure out where this goes to or what it slides onto . The third item is the gas tank electrical connector. I can't find the other end for it anywhere. Where is it located? The wire is so long coming off the gas tank it could end up a lot of places.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

My guess on the wire from the gas tank is that it's the sender for the fuel gauge.

3. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

My thoughts too. The fuel send connector goes back to near the fuse box onteh 550 there's even a slot in the rear rubber tank mount for it to run through.
    fish around near the fuses, lift the tray and maybe you'll find something..

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

solenoid connector is a 2 position connector its the one pictured under your finger
    your wire is the battery sensor r/w wire

the 3 position 2 wire connector is the fuel level sensor could be up front in the atari or headlight

battery sensor r/w wir
    sole.JPG
    get the haynes manual

650/750 haynes manual free down load

XJ750 manuals

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  6. Bryce

Bryce New Member

OK, I have been looking over the manual and wiring diagram in haynes (thanks xj550h) and they unfortunately aren't too helpful. I havent found a body routing diagram with connectors, and the wiring schematics have just about everything but the fuel stuff. I think I have decided the first picture is the battery electrolyte level sensor and xj550h is right. This bike didn't come with a battery so i probably don't have the sensor it connects to, and I have bought a sealed agm battery anyways. I'll probably have to ground that or something so the dummy light doesn't go off in the cluster. I can't go look at the bike until later today, but I am thinking the fuel level sender probably runs to the gauge area, and I will check around the air box some more this afternoon per your guy's suggestions. I have looked there but couldn't really find anything the first time around. My hunch is the fuel sender connector will go directly to the cluster, i just have to more carefully examine it to see where it will plug in. Still no idea on the single black wire coming off of the gas tank :(

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  7. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Goes to the battery sensor. This file will explain what the wire and sensor do, and what you can do if you don't have (or can't install) the sensor.

The HCP14180 Battery Sensor Bypass kit

The black wire, as was mentioned, sounds like it goes onto the fuel gauge sender. If it goes into the same connector as the green wire (which is riveted onto the sender), there's your answer. As for the other end, try looking around the airbox. If not there, perhaps check along the backbone of the frame.

8. Bryce

Bryce New Member

I am also going to snap a better picture of the black single wire on the fuel tank when i go look at it in an hour or two

9. Bryce

Bryce New Member

k-moe likes this.
  10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

First pic is the wire for the battery level sensor. Second pic is for the fuel gauge sending unit.

The battey level sensor can be set-up as a voltage monitor if you are using a sealed battery, or do not want to buy a battery level sensor (measures acid level in flooded batteries).

11. k-moe

Shmuck beat me.. YAY!! :)

12. Bryce

Bryce New Member

alright thanks guys. Got it all figured out. I feel kinda silly that shouldn't have been that hard. Looked into the level sensor, am going to solder in a resistor and use it as a voltage reader. Black wire was indeed fuel sending unit, It just plugged into the fuel tank instead of somewhere on the body. was just looking in the wrong spot. The fuel sensor connector was tucked behind the air box and under some wires in case anyone is looking for this in the future. Now to solve my newly discovered electrical problem of the blinkers being shorted with the headlight beams (previous owner let fuse box wires float around and didn't fix it)

13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

blinkers being shorted with the headlight beams , would you discribe what is happening?

fyi headlights do not come on until bike starts or starter spins motor fast enough to activate headlight relay.

check inside the left control on handle bars that is where the headlight and blinkers are controled

14. Bryce

Bryce New Member

Here are my observations /starting points that I'm going to use to dig through the wiring diagram and see what I can figure out. My headlights are on before the bike is running. Bad sign. My local salvage cycle yard quoted me 10-20 for a wiring harness so I may go get that just to avoid some of this headache of tracking down wiring. My concern is the short is in the cluster area and not the wiring harness.... Anyways here is info I have gathered on my symptoms
    Headlight Fuse in and low beam position : left blinks, right lights up solid same time

Headlight Fuse in high beam position : left blinks no right at same time, turn signal right on right signal stays solid

Fuse pulled low beam: right signal on right works then goes solid, left signal on left works fine

Fuse out high beam :left works and right works when signal on

When headlight fuse out and flasher is solid horn button makes it blink again

Flasher Relay pulled out high /low beam toggle switches turn signals solid. high beam does left side low beam does right side

Quite the mess huh?

15. BigT

BigT Active Member

Might want to check the turn signal bulbs and make sure they are 27 watt bulbs. Any other wattage and the flasher may not work correctly.

16. Bryce

Bryce New Member

Bulbs are 27w if only it could have been that easy ha. Went through the switch for signals and headlights, no shorts in the pigtail or switches themselves. Must be in the wiring harness or cluster

17. k-moe