1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1984 550 with starting problems

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dunk, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Dunk

Dunk New Member

I have an XJ 550 Yamaha 1984. It is running very sweet and has recently been tuned. If I leave it for the weekend when I try and start it it trys to fire once then will not start from the starter. If I keep tring it seems to flood. If I then roll start it (praise be that it is not too heavy) I can usally get it to start on the second try. The battery can crank it over no problem. After the motor has run properly for even a few seconds it will start from the electric start. It has been suggested that the problem could be in the TCI as they were playing around with the ignition system in the 80s (tci rather than cdi).
    Anyone able to verify this issue?
    Anyone able to explain a bit more about the TCI to me?

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Probably not your TCI.

More likely a fuel problem. Next time try setting the fuel valve to PRI for a minute or so before you try to start.

Also, you might have a charging problem, failing battery or some kind of electrical drain when it is turned off. Bike sits for a couple days, battery discharges a bit, then there's not enough juice to spin the engine and get a hot spark.

Since you get that initial sputter I'll place my money on fuel.

3. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

I'm with MiCarl on this one. Your symptoms sound just like my bike's "condition". If the bike won't start right off, it won't unless I supplement it with some starting fluid. You may try rolling on the throttle very aggressively as you hit the Starter button. That seems to help get enough fuel into the engine to keep her running. I suspect that your problem (and mine) is in the "Choke" circuit of the carbs. It's more than likely a clogged port that runs from the bowl to the pickup tube for the choke, i.e. it's not getting fuel. A good cleaning with a fine wire is in order for us both.

4. Timetonut

Timetonut Member

Dunk,

I have had a very similar problem with my XJ550. Mine chugged along, and I wondered if I had a spark plug wire pulled free (I have to park mine in the city next to my house) so as I checked them, I pulled one off, and the bike slowly shut down. I then had the joy of having the starter turn and turn and turn, but no fire. After a day and a half, it started after sitting out in the sun, with lots of time to dry itself out from flooding it. I don't have a solution, but just more of the same.

I now use it as an excuse to go for a ride for an hour or two on the weekend "just to keep the bike running!" An alternate solution, but not one that gets our bikes better clicked in.

5. Dunk

Dunk New Member

6. Dunk

Dunk New Member

[Probably not your TCI.

More likely a fuel problem. Next time try setting the fuel valve to PRI for a minute or so before you try to start.]

Ok tried it this morning Monday..... full tank of fuel turned to prime.....Not luck..... BUT it did start first time on a roll start.

This is driving me nuts

7. kellenholgate

kellenholgate Member

My bike does this too.... I would bet that if you charged the battery to full charge and changed out your spark plugs it would start instantly. When I bought mine the PO had the hardest time starting, and when I pulled the plugs, they were beyond fouled (probably from idling for long periods while talking to potential buyers.... it sat there idling for like 10 minutes while i talked to him and finally i reached over and turned it off...) After I replaced the battery, installed new plugs, and primed the carbs, it started on the first turn.... Now, over time it gets harder and harder to start..... There have been several threads about this....just look up in the "have to use instant start" thread that is sticky'd above. Either your battery is slowly losing charge while bike is off, or your starter brushes are worn. Something is causing weak spark. Don't believe me.... tomorrow morning before doing anything, pull a plug wire and a cap and hold it close to the case.... It'll probably be pretty weak... then get it started with instant start or whatever and take a 10 minute ride, repeat. You'r spark will be much better. I really need to go through my wiring harness and figure out whats causing the slow drain, and pulling my starter and checking brushes is on my list of things to do. from the threads i've read this seems to be a common problem.

I was also a newb at first and wasn't applying choke on starting. Now it starts on cold mornings about 80 percent of the time... so put on that choke.