1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

bike won't run issues...please help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bartman, Sep 17, 2007.

1. bartman

bartman Member

hey all,
    well I had time to dig into my bike a little tonight here's the deal.

Checked the inline fuel filter, and fuel poured out no problem with the tank off and the control valve in the PRI position. so my tank and petcock aren't plugged up.

checked all the plugs - 2 were fouled up and had no spark, so replaced all 4, each one has good spark now.

put a little fuel in each plug hole and the bike fired up, then died after consuming the fuel. If the fuel is getting to the carbuerator, but the bike isn't firing, where is it going? how does the fuel get dispersed to each carb?

- would a can of ether, spraying a little into the air intake help get the combustion goin?

- Is there ANYTHING I can do to help get it running w/o having to do a full tear-down of the carbs off the bike? If you can point me to an article on the XJ CDs, I have those, I just don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance for anybody who can help. Hopefully I can get it running in time to put it up in storage for the winter lol :)

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

So, you've confirmed compression and spark.

Problem is fuel.........

If it's been sitting you'll probably have to go after the carbs.

Try the easy thing first. Make sure the enrichment lever is connected to the carbs and adjusted properly. When you push the lever to the left the forks should be lifting the enrichment valves on the top front of each carb. If not, find out what is disconnected, broken or mis-adjusted.

Oh, not a lot of room for the fuel line. It's not kinked closed or pinched anywhere is it?

3. bartman

bartman Member

thanks for that tip, I went and checked the cable, it was BARELY lifting the valves, so I lifted it by hand and tried starting the bike...it puttered on and off for a little bit, but after a few moments, it came to life and ran/idled strong. Looks like I just need a new choke cable?

Thank you so much for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

4. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

You could try making sure the cable is free and lubricated and adjusting the choke cable at the carb end.

5. bartman

bartman Member

running well, a couple last questions....

took it out for about 20miles today, ran real good. so happy to see it running again! and such a simple fix! this it truely a great forum of people!

when I have it running at idle I can hear a ticking noise, kind of like when you're riding a 10speed bike and you stop pedaling and you can hear the 'tick tick tick..." of the chain/sprocket? any idea what that might be? Again it's an 83 xj750 maxim. The bike runs/idles strong regardless.

Lastly, as happy as I am to have her running again, I forgot just how damn hard on the ears this bike is...it's like a hive of angry bees. Is there any exhaust system out there that would lessen the buzz, and just make it run a little easier on the ears? even with earplugs they hurt after that 20 mile ride.

Thanks.

6. samsr

samsr Member

Does the sound get louder as the fuel tank gets more empty. If so it probably time for a new diaphram in the petcock. I had the same issue with my 82 xj750. Sound went away after the rebuild. Just crank the bike up and listen for the sound around the petcock. Should sound like a lepricon in the tank using a hammer. It should be much quieter whn the tank is full. Hope this helps.

7. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

Re: running well, a couple last questions....

Great you are up and running again!

Are you running aftermarket exhaust? Any baffles in it? A standard exhaust will quiet everything down again too.

8. bartman

bartman Member

I believe it's the stock exhaust, looks like somebody painted over the rust where it comes off the engine, and the long tip is hollow, I imagine that's where the baffles would be?

9. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

Yes, sounds (sic) like you just need to get new baffles. It is far better for your motor (and your ears) to have the baffles in.

10. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The "choke" cable is adjustable at the carb end. It is just held by a clamp, and very easy to have mis-adjusted. Set the choke to "off" and loosen the screw. Pull the sheath up until almost all the slack is gone out of the cable. After re tightening work the lever and make sure the valves still close all the way.

These bikes throw quite a bit of high pitched noise even with good pipes and mufflers. $2 spent at Wal*Mart for ear plugs is a wise investment. Fix the pipes for your neighbors, wear the ear plugs for yourself.

Valve ticking is normal, especially when cold.

11. bartman

bartman Member

thanks for the feedback all,

samsr - I will listen for the noise in that area....Thanks kiwi and micarl for the feedback on the baffles and choke cable adjustment :D