1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How fast was I going?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Tightmopedman9, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Tightmopedman9

Tightmopedman9 New Member

I got back from a 360 mile drive from denver to durango late last night. On my way back I saw a private long distance drag strip :lol: and just couldn't help myself from opening 'er up. Since the speedo tops out at 80 I couldn't really see how fast I was going. However I do remeber that I hit 8250 in 5th gear. I have a factory spec tire on the back and was wondering, how fast was I going?

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I gunna hazard a guess:

117.650 mph

I used to Live down in Lake Charles, LA back when Chennault, Air Force Base was closed.

I'd squeeze the Old MGB through the gates and just put the pedal to the metal. Cost me a blown through piston, I suspect ... but, damn ... those runways were Looooong and straight!

3. Tightmopedman9

Tightmopedman9 New Member

Alright, I thought I was going a bit faster but cool none the less. I tried using those Speed by RPM calculators but was getting mixed information on the gear ratios. Most of the calcs told me I was going around 400 mph :roll:

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

400 seems a bit quick for any Bike without being towed by a Jet!

5. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

maybe i should take my gps out and see howfast my bike will go.the gps has a speedometer setting pretty cool.

6. MNXJ650J

MNXJ650J New Member

Since these bikes have a manual transmission and shaft drive, the speed to RPM ratio is fixed. Unlike older cars with torque converters that had some slip in them.

Here is a really easy way to find out how fast you were going. Take it out and drive exactly half the RPMs in fifth gear. Look at your speed. Now double it to know how fast you were going. This assumes your speedometer is accurate to begin with. Check the accuracy of your odomoter using mile markers for about 10 miles. That should let you know if your spedo is close to correct.