1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Great day

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Here it is almost November those of us in northern US are lucky to have an indian summer. Today got into the 70s took Seca out felt great bike really rolled, hadn't rode for a couple of weeks ( been busy with truck , car work) was great until the wind kicked up 20mph gusts not real fun. Stopped for gas go to start bike up starter clutch slipping after several tries fired up. Came home, pulled starter wanted to check brushes. What did I find I think P.O. may have replaced brushes they were worn , but not real bad. But there was little grease in the reduction gears, added grease , and put a new brush block in . Omg starter sound much better and I don't hear the sound of slippage. ( I hope I don't have to split case to replace clutch yet at 17000 miles) All in all was a good day .

Toomanybikes likes this.
  2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Weather not so nice here. Looks like it's going to be the wettest October on record, 28 rain days out of 31. Quack quack. Snow geese arriving by the thousands, they look like waves of bombers.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Low 70's here on Long Island. Multiple trips out on the XJ. Didn't want today to end. One for the books!

4. Jetfixer

Spent day in garage...only in 50s and it rained...adjused left header had a slight leak I could hear it....fixed and polished tank and cleaned up a little. Sorted one of my tool boxes out..30 plus years in aviation I have ALOT of tools 2 roll arounds with top boxes are not enough need a taco wagon just never bought one...

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I got to change rear brake cylinders on my son's truck. It is a former farm truck and everything was rusty and a royal PITA to free up (thank you candle wax and torch, whithout which the job would not have been able to proceed). A two hour job that took 6 hours. On the plus side it was warm all day, and I used the Seca for parts runs.

hogfiddles and Jetfixer like this.
  6. Jetfixer

^^+1 had to replace rear brake line on my truck..pita a couple of weekend ago , my one man bleeder was life saver !!! Temperature here in Chicago area is supposed to go up close to 70 as long as we do not have 30 mile an hour gusts I hope to get some more riding in ( before I winterize for the season:() Plan on replacing 82 vintage brake lines with braided steel brake hoses , I know should have replaced long ago for my winter project.

7. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

Rained all day Saturday, and I helped my oldest boy move from one apartment to another place on Sunday. I think riding season may be over for me, but I never know up here. The weather can be strange.

8. Jetfixer

I know ,you hear it is going down in temperature and then the weather person says 60's to 70's later in the week !!! later in the week gets here and it RAINS!!! I want that job you have a 50/50 chance ;)

9. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Hey nearly November here too;) but about low 60s. Mild enough so I don't have to burn any gas on heating though.. Took my bike back to it's winter store yesterday but got a flat rear tyre with 1 mile to go. Uphill pushing was some workout. I eventually figured the bike could power itself if I was careful with the clutch:oops:

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

It is warming today, from around 50 degrees to an expected to mid 60's rest of the week. XJ commutes are in the plan :)

Its that time of year I have Stabil in the gas tank at all times, just in case it suddenly gets cold and I have to store it.

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. k-moe

Ya. It's weird not having any snow yet.

Jetfixer likes this.
  12. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

You just jinxed it.

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Jetfixer

It now November and it is going into upper 60s and It is windy and I'm going to have to cut yard again...I'll admit it I'm not the spring chicken I was once. I've become a fair weather riderused to hop on and go. In my younger days rode before my teeth were chattering was a great ride on my Kawaski 550 LTD rode 600miles in one day...not now I'm a wimp I guess

14. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

The range of temps in one day here is a bit annoying. It could be a decent riding day ("highs in the low 60's!"), but as my morning commute is so early, the trip TO work would be dealing with temps in the 30's. That's a bit too chilly to have the mindset, "Hey at least the ride home will be worth it...," especially without any faring/windshield.

15. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Same here - 45 degrees north latitude.
    if you don't like the weather in north central Wisconsin - wait 10 minutes, it'll change.

16. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Today's going from 30's to 60's in 4 hour span. I'll hop on for a ride after lunch w/ camera in case there are any leaves left along the canal.

17. k-moe

Nah... I'm leaving the snow blade off the little tractor. It's sure to snow because I'm not prepared.

Jetfixer likes this.
  18. Jetfixer

Got off of train...77 degrees but sun was setting , went for a short ride around town . I think there were 100 bikes out. It was a great day I ordered new braided brake hoses from xj4ever ( my winter project) :).

19. Jetfixer

Scorred 2 used disk brake rotors off eBay for 16.00$ if they are as good as picture I will be a happy camper. Mine are grooved these do not look bad at all. Now assoon as my hoses from xj4ever get here I'm in buisness

20. Rice_Burnarr

Rice_Burnarr Member

Yeah, I think I also took my last ride of this year earlier today. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be warm too, but I think I'm going to take that opportunity to drain what little fuel remains and go through my winterization procedure.

C'mon spring!!