1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Warnng lamp

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wiz, Nov 15, 2016.

1. wiz

wiz New Member

just was given a 1981 750 seca having a problem with battery warning lamp on dash can someone tell me if it a simple fluid level sensor and is there a simple way to test the sensor . so far have replace all fluids, striped and cleaned carbs,replaced fuse panel,replaced brake pads and shoes, rebuilt calipers and master cyl ,replaced battery,replaced spark plugs,cleaned and dielectric grease in all connectors, all that have left to do is warning lamp and set valves if missed anything please let me know

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Is the sensor in the correct hole ? Should be in 3rd hole from positive terminal

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  4. wiz

wiz New Member

the new battery did not come with sensor but do not know history when got bike the warning lite had been painted black over so could not see red lamp flashing found new oem sensor on ebay but wanted to test first because going to be around $100 with exchange and shipping don't mind spending money as long as fixes problem

5. BigT

BigT Active Member

$100 dollars! I believe mine was like $15 at the local Yamaha dealer. I would check with Chacal before I ordered from eBay.

6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Chacal also has a kit to convert it to a low voltage light. This allows you to use any type of battery instead of having to use a typical lead acid battery allowing you to keep the OEM fluid level sensor.

HCP9982 Aftermarket battery fluid SENSOR BY-PASS WIRE, for all XJ650 Police, 1981-83 XJ750 Seca, 1982 XJ750 Maxim, XJ750 Euro (11M) models, XJ750 Police, and XJ1100 models. Completely replaces the original sensor with this bypass sub-harness. Typically needed when using a replacement battery that does not accept an original style screw-in sensor. Tuned resistance level allows the display and warning light indicate low battery voltage condition, but no longer tells you anything about the fluid level (of course, a low voltage condition could be caused by a low fluid level, among other things). Simple plug-in installation to the original main harness sensor lead wire; contains an extra male bullet terminal for the main harness wire, in case someone cut it off in the distant past (a common problem with previous owners!). You can review the installation procedure for this product at: http://www.xj4ever.com/HCP14180%20batte ... bypass.pdf

XJ550H likes this.
  7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Fixed mine for 2.25$ Radio shack resistor 2.2 ohm if I recall .

k-moe likes this.
  8. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Where in bc are you have one sensor doing nothing in my toolbox

Attached Files:

XJ550H likes this.
  9. wiz

wiz New Member

I am in Nanaimo on the sland

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Don't have to pay anything.........start the bike, let the computer do its check---when the light starts blinking for the battery, push the 'warning' button on front of the cluster to de-activate it. (push once to light them all up, push a second time to turn the light off.

I just do it as a matter of course, doesn't hurt anything.

11. wiz

wiz New Member

I understand can turn off flashing warning light but I am particular about everything working correctly call me anal but think will change sensor for now but like the conversion to read low voltage am going to order kit thanks everyone for information and help

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

All I know is....hitting the reset button gets really annoying after the first two hours of riding.

13. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

This.

It's the reason I installed Len's kit on mine and did the writeup in the first place.

k-moe and hogfiddles like this.