1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

bent steering head

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joejr2, Dec 7, 2016.

1. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I had great hopes for the 81 xj750 seca I bought. It was wrecked and the forks were mangled. I knew
    I would need to replace the forks and tripple tree ( the front wheel was ok ) But when I stripped
    the damaged parts off and sighted the frame, the steering head tube was tilted about 3/8"
    out of alignment. This may be a stupid question but has anyone ever gotten a steering
    head tube bent back into vertical alignment. The rest of the bike is in great shape and the
    engine starts right up and runs smooth and strong.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yeah---- for several hundred bucks at a frame-straightening shop. But it cost a whole lot less to get another frame.

Basically, if your frame is bent---your frame is junk unless you REALLY Want to sink a lot of money into it, or it has highly sentimental value to you

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It can be done at home, but great care must be used to ensure that you don't bend it too far the other direction, and you'll have to do a lot of measuring, and build a fixture to hold the steering stem securely.
    A new frame is a better choice unless you have exprience with bending steel tube, and inspecting for cracking.

4. hogfiddles

Frame-straightening is the LAST thing I'd try to do at home myself, though------

5. joejr2

I bought the bike last month as a parts bike for an "82" 650 seca project It looked great other than the bent forks, tripple tree and a banged up tank.
    It even had a title. I thought I could put it back on the road cheaply but I guess that I'll use it for the "Frankenseca" project. I think there is even a thread
    on swapping a 750 seca engine into a 650 seca frame.

6. Quixote

Quixote Active Member

You should have no trouble putting the 750 Seca engine into a 650 Seca frame.

7. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I'm gonna go with brain surgery as the last thing I'd try at home.

jmilliken and Stumplifter like this.
  8. hogfiddles

The information overload hour has all the engine swap information you will need :)

9. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

XJ550H and k-moe like this.
  10. hogfiddles

And I would recommend having the correct measurements for the correct angle of the steering tube so you have correct rake, and trail; no sideways deflection at all
    So that your rear tire tracks directly in line with your front,, etc.......'

In my way of thinking, I'd want the frame to be -perfectly square again, and have the same structural integrity as before it was bent. If anything, I'd want it to be MORE square, assuming there's probably some inherent slight out-of-squareness that minor adjustments in fitment will be adequate compensation; and stronger, since now that the metal has been bent, has been made somewhat weaker..........

11. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And I would recommend having the correct measurements for the correct angle of the steering tube so you have correct rake, and trail; no sideways deflection at all
    So that your rear tire tracks directly in line with your front,, etc.......'
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yes' I hear and agree, what you say "Hog", checking for good wheel alignment is essential, rake could be altered by dropping or raising the fork tubes through the triple trees.
    stu

12. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Just get another frame. There may very well be additional issues as you get it repaired

rocs82650 and hogfiddles like this.
  13. joejr2

To get another xj750 frame in the santa Fe/Albuquerque area is difficult and and a titled frame is even harder to find. To get one shipped in costs about $500.00 +-.
    There's only one motorcycle salvage yard in New Mexico and it's a mess.
    When it warms up some, toward the end of February, I'm gonna strip that bike to a bare frame and measure everything and see how badly
    bent it is. I'll look around and find out if the expense is worth getting it straightened.
    I'll set up a 3D grid off a level platform and use framing squares, levels, string, and a straight edge to see how distorted it is relative
    to center lines. If the Frame can be salvaged I have another set of xj750 forks and a compatable tripple tree. I'll clean, polish. or paint
    everything as I put it back together. I could end up with a cool xj750. If it's a lost cause, I'll trade the title to Hogfiddles for something
    and swap engine etc. from the 750 seca onto a good 650 seka frame I have.

14. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Be on the lookout all over the US. Members on here constantly travel, meet up with other members, deliver parts, etc. I have seen people purchase bikes that have gone across the US by member A to member B to Member C and so on.... We all need those rare parts sometimes. Search and ask for favors.

hogfiddles likes this.
  15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Keee-rist, that's pretty expensive! This time of year you can almost get a complete xj for 500 bucks! Plus, with the snow everywhere, you have a few months to get it up to spec! at least canadian winter is good for something

16. hogfiddles

Yup-- I can personally vouch for that. I have had:
    900rk
    Another 900rk frame
    2 Xj1100's
    Xj600 Seca ii
    A couple 650 maxims
    Xvz12 Venture
    650 turbo
    Etc.....
    Either picked up, delivered, carried, taken to... etc, by Xj-community members. That's why I said in another forum, "ask". You never know who might be near, passing by, etc......

17. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

I found a frame on eBay for 200$ shipped. Keep looking...

rocs82650 likes this.