1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

An introductory build thread...cafe style

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Onetrackstu, Sep 28, 2013.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

$467 for a carb rebuild? I hope that everything inside is NEW, not just "cleaned"........I hope he knew what he was doing, and I hope you KNOW what he did.

Dave

2. Onetrackstu

Onetrackstu Member

Yes everything is brand new. Done by a reputable shop and I have the bill of sale and it has the list of parts/labor plus me checking in every so often on the progress. I am pretty confident it's done right

3. jcro61

jcro61 Member

You are missing the bracket for the clutch cable

BaldWonder likes this.
  4. Onetrackstu

Onetrackstu Member

Ok found it. Now to the starter issue. If the solenoid clicks and 12v is shown all the way to the starter, is it a safe bet that I will need a starter rebuild? It did run before I took the starter off.

5. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

yes, its a small bracket ,held on by a single screw , just at the back of the oil filler.
    here
    mines a xj600, but don't look a lot different to yours
    [​IMG]
    cheers.
    stu

6. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

You are missing the retention bracket that goes next to the oil fill cap to hold and adjust the clutch cable.

Nevermind. This new format isn't showing me most recent posts for some reason. They popped up after I responded.

7. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

me too.:rolleyes:
    stu

8. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

9. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Me too:oops:

10. Onetrackstu

Onetrackstu Member

Well it's been a while but it still doesn't start...yet(very close). It has handlebars, tank, and seat. [​IMG]

11. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Forgive me if I missed this being stated earlier, but a simple carb cleaning and rebuild does not guarantee a bike that will start...
    You need to check and adjust your valve clearances (should be 0.11mm-0.15mm intake, 0.16-0.20mm exhaust between the shims and cams when fully closed)
    You need to have a proper bench sync done - adjust your carb bowl float levels, adjust the throttle shaft butterfly openings to an appropriate level, and adjust your idle mixture screws to the correct preset level (I believe 1.5-2 turns out from gently bottomed out).

When it comes to fuel and air delivery, you have to think of the bike as having FOUR independent one-cylinder, single-carburetor engines that have to synced for fuel mixture and then synced to each other.

Also I'm sure it has been said before, but POD filters are notorious for their difficulty in tuning. If you have a straight pipe or high flow exhaust, add an extra full turn out to your idle mixture screw settings to get the bike to kind of run OK - stock settings will likely NOT work.

12. Onetrackstu

Onetrackstu Member

Check and adjusted valve clearances...done.
    Bench sync...doubt it

I'll start with your advice tomorrow. My concern was trying to get a spark out of it today.

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Even that won't be enough to correct the lean condition he will have above idle. Pods + aftermarket exhaust always = rejet.

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

OK tell us more about the no-spark condition. What do you know? Stock wiring, or minimal?

15. Onetrackstu

Onetrackstu Member

I has been rejetted also. The no spark condition was the result of me chopping the harness apart and minimizing it. I had to isolate everything down to the connection. Now everything is sparking so I should be good to go

k-moe likes this.
  16. HAFROD

HAFROD New Member

Liking this build

17. Onetrackstu

Onetrackstu Member

ok now I know the motor works. I'm going to organize the wires(aka tear it apart again and meticulously solder everything together and place the components in a way that they do cannot short out) since this was a proof of concept harness. I'll build the cables(throttle and brake) and then engine tuning :(

18. bostonbacon

bostonbacon Member

That is some beautiful noise!

19. Onetrackstu

Onetrackstu Member

Let's update this. Lost a job; worked a shitty job(1+ years); moved bike to friends garage instead of storage unit; got married; got old job back; more bills; cut down bills; replace daily driver(first love) suspension in the street(damn German cars and expensive suspensions); decided on one electrical setup but its to complicated; no grip ace controls; modified RFID from cheap to expensive for simplicity/space(smaller) purposes; Anti-gravity battery is shot only used it 2x...never buy one unless you race; made everything simple, no safety devices but will have headlights, brake lights, etc(this is not a daily and won't be riding long distances or everyday). I ordered all the parts for the final setup. It still needs minor welding on a few new custom pieces(headlight and handlebars); Need to buy: 5 3/4" headlight, speedo, streamline internal throttle(the one I have now does not have an internal spring for return, I'd rather have 2 springs for return(safety purposes only); hidden master cylinder does not give enough pressure so I am implementing a low profile handle bar solution; needs brake lines fabricated; new tires, tuning, safety check. Lessons learned....you think its a 1 year project max, this is going on 3-4 years.

hogfiddles likes this.
  20. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

That's all????? I have one that's going on about 17yrs.......lol I'm serious!