1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What time is it?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Stumplifter, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

obvious answer is time for more bacon. . . .

Serious question, although it is 5F here this AM after another coating of the white stuff (and more sand) we are in March so spring is coming. . . . ?
    So I started pondering my commute on the XJ. This area of Wisconsin is relatively new for us and my job is very new (started post riding season). I was fantasizing that if it were warmer I would leave early for work and tool around a bit before doing CAD programming while fantasizing about my route home. The big concern is I don't wear a watch, I have seen some guys/ gals that have aftermarket time pieces attached to their bikes. I know if i don't have away of telling time that I will get lost on the county roads and be late for work.

So the question is:
    What do you use to keep track of time while riding (pics of attachment would be great).

2. NEEDtoRIDE

NEEDtoRIDE Member

interesting post, I normally go with the get lost and show up late option. Lately however, I have gotten a clamp on phone holder which I can use for GPS and it conveniently shows the time and time of arrival if I have something plugged in. TBH, I had a little fear in the phone mount vibrating too much and not being secure enough to hold my phone, but after the first few miles down the road all those fears vanished as it was way more secure than I thought. I used to have a small cheap clock that I picked up from an Autozone counter velcroed to the gauges. This worked pretty good just for time telling.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015UIPMH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BigT likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

no alarm clock no watch. I get up when I wake up. Eat when I'm hungry
    never late for work

4. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Being the kind of guy that likes to build things, I've been considering what data I might want to monitor on the bike and offer on a display. Time was always one of those things I wanted to at least have access to when riding. (because who doesn't want time to ride, haha). So, let's see:
    - time
    - compass heading
    - current gear (I know, I'll probably internalize that at some point, but don't think about it at all now, till I stop and wonder when I'm back in 1st).

The last thing requires installing some switches and assumptions about starting condition, but could likely tap into neutral light signal as a "home" switch.
    What else would be helpful? Obviously, I could bedazzle the engine with sensors, but to what end?
    I'm thinking about prototyping with simple arduino setup and then doing a custom board that would center around a back-lit LCD display that would fit near my instrument cluster and within the cowl.

5. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Wait, are you retired? That sounds like my dad.

6. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Have you looked at any of the smart watches. Not endorsing them but my boss, Mr. Gadget, probably has had every smart watch made. Here is a few observations if you ever decide to try one. The features I liked are the following: Shake wrist to turn on/off watch display (good option while riding), color e-ink display (like the kind the Banres and Noble Nook reader used to use but not a touch screen) for best visiabilty in daylight and longest battery life, Notifications (incoming calls, test messages, email), talk through the watch via bluetooth to the phone (might be useful while riding, but somehow I don't think so). Please note: different brands and models may have one of these features or they may not. Things I don't like: I don't like wearing watches, another device to have to charge like our cell phones, your cell phone is required to get all the emails and notifications and phone calls (we are not quite at the Dick Tracy level of technology where the watch works independently of the cell phone). Actually, I think there are prototypes that have been created that are capable of this.

And to best part of wearing a smart watch... you will be automatically assumed to be a hipster, LOL. Then again, there is always the inexpensive wind type Timex mechanical watch option. :)

7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

IMG_0915.JPG This works just fine

Stumplifter likes this.
  8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

no not retired just have no use for time.
    my only use is to get to work on time but if I do not wake up I figure I need my sleep or I am dead.

9. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

10. BigT

BigT Active Member

Just purchased through Amazon currently a lightning deal. Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully it fits my Maxim buckhorns.

NEEDtoRIDE likes this.
  11. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

This is what I use. 20170302_211642.jpg
    If I go really really fast time goes backwards!

Stumplifter and BigT like this.
  12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I have an "out farting around" loop. It has three sections; 20 min, 50 min, and three hours.
    I check the time when I start out.
    If I'm pressed for time I save the farting around until after work, and let my hungry belly keep time for me.

13. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

First thing that same to mind was a Spin Doctors song from the 90s. First CD I ever bought.

Alarm clock at home, 3 year old that sleeps in during the week when I need to get the older ones to school and gets up at 5 on the weekends.

On the bike? Nothing. That's my time.

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  14. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

4:30, it ain't late, it's just early!

Thanks for the ideas, I have no smartphone, somewhere I have a box with at least 3 old, hardly ever used watches. Need to dig it out, wind them up and see which keeps the best time. Then secure to handle bar.

I do like the idea of different "loops". Rather easy to do as there are limited intersections around here. First I need to time them. Already have a medium loop in mind that will take me along the Wisconsin River. :)

Spring? Spring? Spring, where are you?

Maple sap is starting to flow, the trees are waking up. Still kind of early, but it's a start.

jayrodoh likes this.
  15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Dropped back down to -15c again this week, -20ish with wind chill. What time is it? Time to go back into hibernation. Canada is killer this time of year.