1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by arcticmervyn, Mar 20, 2017.

1. arcticmervyn

arcticmervyn New Member

Hey everybody, I just purchased an XJ750 SECA as my first motorcycle. It is in nearly mint condition. Super low mileage, 22100. I think it make even have original tires. With little experience working on engines and none on a motorcycle I was hoping for recommendations and ideas as far as routine maintenance, modifications, where to find parts, etc.

I would like to find new wheels and tires, lights, saddle, handlebars, instrument panel, exhaust.

What is the difference between the factory pipes at 4-2 vs. 4-2-1 vs. 4-1

I did have one problem when driving it home. It seemed to idle high/high RPM, 2500-3000 when stopped. When I had originally viewed the motorcycle it was running smoothly, not sure what the PO might have done to correct the idle when i came to look at it.

Thanks for the help, can't wait for this project to get underway.

2. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Congrats, it'll be a great bike, but you'll likely need to go through it first. First, assume nothing. If you want a safe, reliable bike, take the time and ensure it's all put right. Get ready to read!

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-information-overload-hour.27544/
    There's lots more where that came from, but we're here to help! You can get all you need, parts and advice-wise. Do some searching here as there are many discussions on tires and other things you can learn from.

3. arcticmervyn

arcticmervyn New Member

Thanks dkavanagh.

4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

+1 to dkavanagh post. Read that link for sure.

And another important thing, after reading your post a second time it sounds like you are very excited (as you should be). Being a motorcycle enthusiast is awesomely fun - like bacon.
    Be prepared to slow your roll, take your time, go over the bike methodically refurbishing necessary items and verifying each component's functionality. It is a 30 year old bike that needs YOUR attention to detail to maintain YOUR safety.
    There are many members here that can help guide you through all aspects of these arse kickin' vintage XJ's!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    k-moe and arcticmervyn like this.
  5. arcticmervyn

arcticmervyn New Member

Thank you Stumplifter, I feel like I've turned to the right place. I'm already enrolling in an A.B.A.T.E. class. I am planning on doing some maintenance and modification while I am waiting for my class. Definitely already started ready through all of the information that you guys have provided.

6. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'll add this link: http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/showcase/xj550rh.47/

It has my list of items which was a lot of the common stuff but by no means what every bike needs. Some need more, some less. All those rubber bits, mostly likely replace them (brakes and tires cannot be over emphasized).

arcticmervyn and Stumplifter like this.
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Congrads on the bike and +1 for the motorcycle class. You are heading in the right direction for a long and safe riding life.

arcticmervyn likes this.
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

My suspicion is that the idle was lower when you first looked at the bike because it was not yet fully warm (it takes a bit of riding for the engine to get fully warmed up).
    This can be because of a few things, most notably a vacuum leak (likely at the throttle shaft seals).
    That link you were provided: read it, read it again, then do all of the things.
    Do not plan on doing much riding unil you've thoroughy inspected and recomissioned the motorcycle.
    Once you'ver fininshed the process you'll have a machine that will take you across the country (several times) without fault.

Take a MSF course (I'm not a fan of ABATE's teaching methodology, but it is a whole lot better than no class, and really not that far off from MSF) if you have not already. Get a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough and read it. Both of these steps will allow you to be comfortable, confident, and capable of riding for many years.

Don't rush. Play the long game and you'll learn a lot, and not be chasing your tail fixing things all the time.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

OH. Hold off on the bobbing until after you have it running well and put a year or so of riding time in. That will give you time to refine what it is that you want out of a motorcycle before committing to a project that might not get finished (this happens a lot, and is often the reason for good motorcycles becoming parts bikes).

Stumplifter and arcticmervyn like this.
  10. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Did you turn off the choke after the bike warmed up? If not, it could explain the high idle. I doubt very much that the tires are original.
    You can find out by reading the date code on each tire. Here is a link to help you read the proper date code: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11 I tend to change them out if they are older than 5 years old, even if the look good.
    Even if the bike runs fine, you should still do the checks which are indicated in the list contained in the link dkavanagh posted above. I tend to make sure the saftey related items on the list are checked off first prior to riding the bike further than my driveway. And the rest before I go beyond a my neighborhood. If your bike is as clean as you say it is, then you will probably find that the majority of the items check out okay from your inspections. I don't know if the list specifies, but I tend to check the torque on bolts that I feel effect my saftey (axle bolts, shock bolts, triple tree, handle bars, front wheel axle cap bolts, foot peg bolts, etc). Once you do all these things on the list you will at least have the peace of mind that you have a safe bike.

Sorry k-moe. reiterated what you said. That too many interuptions when I was typing.

arcticmervyn likes this.
  11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

No test rides on those tires (not to mention brake lines). If they are indeed the originals, they are far past their expiry date! Also a good idea to check the brake shoes.

Lightcs1776, k-moe and arcticmervyn like this.