1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

FJ1200 owners, what is your appreciation of your bike?

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by quebecois59, Feb 9, 2017.

1. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

If there are some FJ1200 owners on this forum, I'd like to hear you about the pros and cons. It looks like a heck of a bike!

2. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Sold mine in 93.
    What I liked is as follows;

1. Great looking sporty bike.
    2. Loads of smooth power
    3. Lots of torque and pulls like a fright train.
    4. Tops out at 150 to 155 mph (got mine up to at least 150, can't remeber if I hit 155)
    5. Reliable!
    6. High quality.
    7. Comfortable for long rides.

Things I didn't like:

1. Handles like a fright train in corners. Really had to muscle it into corners. Really, it is more akin to a muscle car, having only straight line peformance.
    2. Heavy bike.
    3. Developed a clutch hydrolic leak (fixed myself before selling it)
    4. Hard to do wheelies since it was so heavy. Would do a burn out instead. Altough one time, I it unexpectedly went into a wheelie when I wasn't trying for one. Came up fast and the tank hit me hard in the chest.
    Thankfully I had a tank bag mounted at the time and it was just pure reflex that I let go of the gas (too fast) and it slamed down but kept going as if nothing happened. Winded me just a tad.
    FJ1200.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    quebecois59 and k-moe like this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Have you ridden a V-Max?

4. quebecois59

Must practice the art of counter-steering with that kind of bike. I rode two bikes in my life that weren't funny in the corners, both of them had a too tight steering stem.

These bikes look sharp, I agree.

5. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Never have k-moe. But have always heard they are a real hot rod. After 32 years in production Yamaha must have done something right.

6. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Never heard of counter-steering back then, LOL. Would be intersting to see how the FJ reacts. I know it really works, makes my heavy KZ feel more nimble in the corners, compared to my normal style. Bike seems to track better with counter-steer too.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you have ever sucessfully ridden any inline two wheeled vehicle, then you've been countersteering to initiate every turn you've ever taken above walking speed.

Polock likes this.
  8. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

I've had three of them over the years and never had a problem with having to muscle it into corners.
    Is that you on the bike in the picture XJOE550?
    That's the first of the 12's , still with the original 16" front wheel from the early 1100's, the 1200's with the 17" front were a lot better.
    Rear suspension gets forgotten about due to it's location, keeping on top of it and the bearings usually helps them handle well. The rear shock will generally be past it if it's still on a bike these days as it can't be re-built. Hagon in the UK do a good replacement. 3 point adjustment on the front set up well also helps. I had mine set firm for two up riding, never a problem.
    Four pot front brake calipers are a big improvement on the later 1200 over the early twin set up.
    Generally just keeping on top of all the wearable chassis components and you can't go wrong.
    That's me with my last one below, which was a Frankenbike mixture of 1100's and 12's.

Attached Files:

k-moe likes this.
  9. quebecois59

Well I think there is difference between passively countersteering (intuitively) and actively contersteering, the second would give better results when the bike is a pig in corners.

10. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

I read a few articles about counter steer. And they state the same thing k-moe points out. But like you said, actively doing it as opposed to not even knowing about it, for me at least, made a big difference. I also trained myself to look beyound the curve instead of looking at the outside to see how close I'm getting to the edge of the curve when going in hot. Active counter steers seems to keep my track from drifting. I also focus on my track going in the curve and then the exit past the curve. Of course, 99% of my riding is pretty tame. So on a leisurely pace I can just enjoy the scenery instead.

quebecois59 likes this.
  11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Setting up the corner before hand is the only way to go. I mean if we are getting nuts here then lots of weight on the inside foot peg along with half your butt into the corner. You get enough weight on the peg and your butt over enough, you will have to counter steer the bike upright as she will want to dive into the corner. As many have stated above, see the line, never look for an EXIT that is not the line, that is how people find the ditch. If you come in the corner and you feel too hot, a slow tap of the rear brake should take a little steam off the turn and maybe help.

Taking the MSF sport bike class really helped me out, I was tired and sore at the end of the day. I don't think I would take my FJ1200 into a corner like I would take my Bandit 12 S or my old ZRX1200R but that is just me. I have also had a ZX14 and she was more of a point and shoot type of bike like the the older V-Max was.

I do know the stock rear shock was nasty on the FJ1200, the progressive sure makes the FJ1200 ride a lot better. Changing out the old forks to USD forks or even the older 1989 FJ1200 helps too I am told. But for me the FJ1200 is just a good sport looking touring bike. Nice power to pass but I don't think I would want to get to serious with it on the "Dragon". Not saying it couldn't be done.

XJOE550 likes this.
  12. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Yes, me on hthe bike probably from 1990. I believe the bike was an 86' and so that would have put it at 4 years old at the time. I sold my old 74' Z1 thinking I want to try a modern sportbike. Got a great deal at the time I think for $2,600. Little did I know, it was more of a sport tourer than a pure sport bike. I didn't do my home work and the price along with the big motor swayed me. Don't get me wrong, great bike, I enjoyed it. But I should would have gone after a Nija 900, VF1000R or GSX-R 750. But if I remember, the prices where a lot more for those bikes than the price of the FJ. So I jumped on the deal and bought the FJ.

13. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Have a look at this blokes website. I've corresponded with Alf and he knows his stuff regarding the Fj11's and 12's.
    http://www.fj1200.info/

XJOE550 likes this.
  14. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

FJ is an amazing bike. It has torque like a Peterbilt. I currently have two, trying to sell one. Had one more earlier, but crashed it on a gigantic oil slick.

Different generation FJs are slightly varied in attitude. The early FJs are more sportbike, where the later ones are more of a tourer, with bigger fairings.

The 1989 and up front fork with the 17" wheel and minus the anti-dive makes a ton of difference in handling.

Parts are very available, as is tuning advice. FJ has quite the following. The place to go for info is FJOwners.com.

The original owner of the site has sold it to Randy Raduechel. Randy runs a company called RPM Racing, and he is probably the foremost FJ tuner in US. He even goes so far as to design and sell upgrades for the FJ. He has a purpose-designed rear chock, a stainless exhaust, fork valve upgrades. He is also very free with advice and generally a great guy.

15. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

I had put a big scratch on my bottom cowling from the curb next to my driveway at the time. I saw an add in the back of Cycle World for a bottom cowling that also covers the engine. Can't remember if i was a lockhart, but looked very similiar to the the imagine I found on the net below. Never took a picture of the bike with with it on. Always regret not doing so. Looked great with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    WileyRiley and Franz like this.
  16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Oh, just get one. you wouldn't be asking if you didn't want one :)

17. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

This is my FJXJR1200. It started life as an FJ and I turned it into an XJR. Retro'd but better in my opinion.
    [​IMG]