1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Interesting blinker problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sog, Jun 20, 2017.

1. sog

sog New Member

Hey gang,
    My right blinker always functions properly, but my left one has been misbehaving intermittently. Sometimes it works perfectly, and other times it does not. When it is not functioning properly, the front left blinker will come on when switched on, but with a solid light (instead of blinking), and the rear left blinker remains off. My bike has some dodgy wiring that is likely contributing, but I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction as I begin to trouble shoot this issue. I've got the haynes wiring diagram, and have been behind the headlamp before, but am wondering if these symptoms point to any particular likely culprit. Thanks!

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Likely culprit it the signal switch, easy to take apart and clean.

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I would start at the rear bulb housing. The switch only has one set of contacts for the lights themselves so if the front light comes on it is probably working fine. Cleaning up and lubing a 30+ year old switch is never a bad idea though. The reason it is not blinking is because one bulb is not enough load to get the flasher working, it needs two. Start at the housing, see if the contacts in the socket are corroded. After that, work your way up the harness. There are connections at the rear of the bike where the signals plug in that should be cleaned as well.

Polock, Rooster53 and Stumplifter like this.
  4. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Had a similar problem years back. Turned out to be a loose connector coming off the rear signal stem. Pinched the female spade connector a little tighter and the problem went away.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

me too

6. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Deleted....(didn't read the details on original posting enough before I responded) o_O

7. sog

sog New Member

Well there was one slightly loose connection under the seat, but I'm not entirely sure it was the culprit. For now the blinker is working again. If I want to test continuity along the wires, what is the place closest to the bulb that I can test? In the socket I guess? Could an old bulb cause these intermittent symptoms?

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

old bulb could be the problem if contacts on bulb are worn or
    glass is cracked. could be bad contact points in the socket. and testing continuity do ti from socket to first wire connectors then from harness to control connector and ground. clean with electrical spray and use dielectric grease when ever you disconnect a connector.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Any loose connection will cause a problem. What's loose?

10. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

. . . a long necked goose.

Polock and k-moe like this.