1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel in oil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Myron, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Myron

Myron Member

Hi all. Had a chance to get back to the seca today. Sprayed the gloss black on tank, fender and side covers. While it was drying i figured i would hook up the spare tank and run it to warm and give it an oil change. Could smell fuel in the oil when draining. Seemed to empty the spare tank quicker than I imagined. Do you think the tank with straight open petcock is the problem, or do you think I need to pull my carbs again? Maybe something else is wrong? Smelled like old gas though. And oil seemed too thin. Oil level looked fine in the window before draining.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Stuck floats, or leaky float needles. Have they been replaced?

It's really best to have one thread for you machine, so we can look back at the histoy of what work has been done.

3. Myron

Myron Member

Sorry. Of course how would you know. I work on it when ever I can so its an ongoing project for me. Over the past two or three years I have rebuit the carbs, bench synced and checked the float levels. I recently pulled the carbs again because I realized that one of the enrichment circuits was not fully seated. Rebuilt the entire circuit with new springs and seals from Len. Its been an ongoing project for some time now, so fuel might have been from before the carb rebuild. I suppose they should come off again before I remount everything again for inspection and check float height again.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when you hook up the tank for the first time with empty bowls sometimes you needto rap on the bowls when filling to make sure floats do not bind up

5. Myron

Myron Member

Good advice. Thanks. I will try it this week and report back.