1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

stalled now wont start

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mooch, Oct 28, 2011.

1. mooch

mooch Member

I have an 82 xj650j it ran great all summer,then I put it in the garage for the season about 2 weeks ago and been starting it a few times a week. I went out the other day to start it and it started fine and ran for a minute then stalled out, and now it wont start. It has gas, spark and everything else seems fine. If anyone can help that would be great, thanks.

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

If it has spark & compression, it must be lack of fuel, pull the fuel line, make sure it's running free (on Prime) if the gas is getting to the carbs, it's probably time for a clean.

3. mooch

mooch Member

Its getting fuel. I was going to clean the carbs anyway so I guess while its cold out side its as good as time as any. Thanks for the info.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

If it's how my 650's are, it's a combination of things:

1 flooded
    2 not VERY strong battery
    3 cold

Cold is the thing that would take mine right down. If it was in the 40's in the morning, she was a bear to start. Solution was to keep a heater on in the shop so it stayed at least in the 50's. Then she'd start right up and stay running. In the 40's or lower, I'd have to keep the rpm's up to get over the 'hump'. If she stalled, I would get the booster, and be ready for a fight. It could take a LOT of time to get her going again, but would eventually start up. The cold would cause her to stall, then the enriched fuel would flood, then the battery would go down cuz of the cold, and so on..........
    your's is probably doing the same. Get a good charge on the battery, and be ready for a fight, but I'm sure she'll finally cough, sputter, etc..... til she's ready to go again...

Dave Fox

dave

5. mooch

mooch Member

Yeah mine is a bear to start when it's cold.

6. hogfiddles

I don't think the carbs are the problem. I really suspect a combination of cold, and your battery is probably less than optimal. Get a space heater in there, or something to warm it up for awhile til the middle of the engine gets back up to room temperature. Make sure that the battery is charged right up and/or you have a small booster ready. I bet it'll start like normal then. Then you'll have more peace of mind over the winter as you're redoing your carbs just because, and that way you'll know they're done, too. :)

That all is, of course, dependent on you being 100% sure that you didn't run out of gas :)

Dave Fox

7. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Ya my 83 XJ750 Maxim is the same way as long as its cold, below 50 she don't like it! Fully charged battery and playing with the idle screw seems to get it going. I don't know for sure if reseting the fuel air mixture works. But after five or ten minutes she starts fine and takes a little longer to warm up due to the cold.

8. BABAKU

BABAKU New Member

Looking for help. My 82 xj 650j will not start. checked the electrical, Solenoid clicks rapidly when I press the starter button. checked connections, battery is new and fully charged. The starter does not turn and the engine does not crank. I am the original owner. Any thoughts?

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

jump across the 2 large nuts on the solinoid see if starter spins use old screw driver or a quarter. sounds like a bad solinoid unless your battery is almost dead

10. hogfiddles

My first thought is that the battery is not as good as you think it is.

Stumplifter and k-moe like this.
  11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Agreed. The rapid clicking of a solenoid is indicative of a low voltage condition.
    Put a meter across the battery posts and see what the voltage is at rest, and what it drops to when you attmpt to start the bike.

Stumplifter likes this.
  12. BABAKU

BABAKU New Member

Checked the battery and you are correct. It had a bad cell. Got a new no maintenance battery and put it in thinking "this should do". No such luck. The solenoid now clicks once each time I press the starter button instead of a rapid clicking as before. I put a screwdriver across the solenoid terminals, pressed the starter button and got the single click nothin else.

So do you think this means the solenoid is shot?

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Did you lay the screwdiver across the big terminals on the solenoid? That bypasses the solenoid entirely, so if the starter didn't spin then you have a starter that needs new brushes and a good cleaning (easy DYI job), or a faulty ground.

That the solenlod clicked is indicitative of a good solenoid, however you should confirm that by checking for voltage at the starter side of the solenoid (between the starter post and the starter case) when you press the starter button.

XJ550H likes this.
  14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if you put a screwdriver across the 2 large nuts it is your starter a new solinoid is cheaper but mau not solve your problem.
    do you have a multimeter?
    hook black lead to battery negitive , when you test voltage with red probe first at battery plus, then at large nut where battery wire goes, then the remaining nut that goes to starter press starter button .
    you should get 12 volts at each test point last test the wirs at the starter press button should get 12 volts

15. BABAKU

BABAKU New Member

Thanks again for the tips. I will do the checks you suggest tomorrow and post ther results.Cheers.