1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Considering Suzuki V-Strom 650

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Supernaut, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Supernaut

Supernaut Member

This is a bike that first caught my interest in an issue of Cycle World a few months back. I otherwise would have looked past it in a dealer (and probably did). Given with my yearning to travel where few usually do I think this one is a good idea. I like to take back roads and see new sights and what not. This has often meant taking my maxim along the gravel for many of kilometers. I don't think it handles it to well (in all fairness I don't have much to compare it to) and I don't care for the short 160km (100mi) to reserve fuel range.

This "adventure touring" class is one I was not very familiar with until I read Neil Peart's "Ghost rider." Where he rides his BMW GS-(whatever) over 90,000km all over North America in a year and a half. I then took an interest in it and started researching.

I don't think the V-strom is much to look at (but neither are any of the bikes in this class really). It apparently is a good jack of all trades sort of machine. 22L gas tank for long range, lots of space in the hard cases, and the 90 degree v-twin puts out 75hp I believe I read, which is enough for me. Plus though my maxim is pretty reliable considering the age, I don't think I would want to go rolling across the frontier land with it. I'm considering a bike trip maybe with my brother next summer into the North West Territories.

Yes I would have to sell my maxim, I would like to keep it but I can't afford to have 2 bikes around at once. I don't have a place to keep it even if I just kept the insurance off it. Plus I would need its cash value.

The insurance on that V-strom is one thing I worry about. I'm not sure what they classify it as.

Any thoughts?

2. babaloo01

babaloo01 Member

I was actually looking at the same bike for the same reasons although I actually think it looks kinda cool (but then I like my cherokee's look too). At any rate I belive it's classified as a standard bike for insurance. At least here in Colorado.

3. chilidog

chilidog Member

I hear great things about em' one of the guys in my riding group has one in addition to some large sprtbike, he likes it a lot. ive seen several groups of three or more riding around central FL, they seem to appeal to "beemer" type guys...I do mean that with all due respect.... if you know what i mean the type who think a nice day long ride includes three states and sometimes a border crossing... personally I think their cool and i would have one if i could have one of everything...

4. digitalbroccoli

digitalbroccoli Member

I have a friend with around 12,000 miles on his, and its a nice bike. Driveline is nice and easy to live with, fairly broad power band, and a nice riding position.

But...its tall. I mean, I'm 6'1, and its a tall bike for me to sit on/stand over. If you've got an inseam shorter than 34 inches, its going to feel very tall.

(overall, for the dollar, I like it a lot, and would own one)

5. Great_Buffalo

Great_Buffalo Member

I just took one for a long ride the other day, 65 miles. I really like it. In the past 3 months I have ridden many duel purpose bikes with the hope of getting one next spring. I've ridden the Kawi KLH650, nice but not roady enough for my likes and difficult to find adventure class accessories yet. The Triumph tiger is great but the dealer network is slim and the 08 model is more of a sport bike than a duel sport. The BMW 650 is pretty comparable to the V Strom aside from the motor they are very close but for the price difference of almost $4000 my money would go to the V Strom. My dream is a 1250GS Adventure but funds, or the lack of them will keep that out of reach for a while yet.

6. samtidor

samtidor Member

If you want to ride off-road, purchase a used KLR 650. If you want to pretend your Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman and live out your Long Way 'Round/Down fantasy, buy a used BMW R850R and slap on some knobbies.

7. baz666

baz666 Member

ask omar petralis at the xjowners email micapeak email list. He's got the DL650 and loves it. I think he just rode it back from Chicago to Toronto in the cold so he'd know a thing or two.
    baz

8. Supernaut

Supernaut Member

Thanks guys, I'm impressed with how much good the lot of you have to say about it.

Oh yes, I wouldn't plan on doing any true off roading really. I had moreso in mind unpaved back roads, maybe cut across the odd tractor path now and then. Stuff I already do with my XJ sometimes but very slowly. Fighting its tendency to wonder on the loose stuff on the gravel like a drunken sailor and having my teeth shaken out. Although the wondering probably has more to do with my lack of experience on loose surface.