1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Why did you buy an XJ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, May 13, 2017.

1. BABAKU

BABAKU New Member

Kind of like K-Moe, I saw an add in CYCLE magazine. It was back in 1984 and it said I could buy a MAXIM 650 for monthly payments that would be less than the cost of buying lunch once a week at a bad restaurant. I had a YAMAHA 1976 xs500b at the time and it seemed like too good a deal to pass up. Bought a 1982 Maxim XJ650J new out of the crate in Feb of 1984. Had it ever since. It has 19,000 miles now.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Out of all The only bikes I've owned the xj 750 is one I want to keep. I originally was going to flip but I want to keep it as original as I can. Just enjoy riding it maybe one day when I'm rich I will buy an xj650 and 550 to keep my 750 company haha.

3. Alberta KTM

Alberta KTM New Member

It’s was a total fluke. Saw a deal on a non running bike. All I knew about it was that is was a Yamaha. Turns out it was a Maxim X 750 with only 18k on it. Best 400 bucks I’ve spent!

Lightcs1776, dowski68 and Jetfixer like this.
  4. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

My grandpa purchased it off the showroom floor in 81. Added a windshield and a backrest with cargo rack. Rarely rode it. My father acquired it about 11 years later. Yet another owner who rarely rode her. Into the garage she went. Half a decade later, I convinced him that he needed more garage space. Here I am... new owner if a 20+ year old bike with less than 4k miles on her.

Carbs cleaned. Brake pads, shoes, and hoses replaced. New tires installed. Dang, I had a brand new vintage motorcycle.

I still ride her today....

wgul, Franz, TheCrazyGnat and 5 others like this.
  5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Wow how many other XJ's have passed down 3 generations? You need to pass it on to your son one day.

SpearChucker, Plug and Stumplifter like this.
  6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

"Heirloom" edition!

Stumplifter likes this.
  7. Matt Rain

Matt Rain Member

Four years ago, I wanted to get into motorcycling with very little disposable cash so I combed through the local classifieds - my two criterias were 1) decent power-to-weight ratio 2) sub-$1000. The XJ600F/FJ600 fit the bill even though I knew almost nothing about bikes at that point. Turned out to be a great choice - I’m completely sold on the UJM concept. I’ve also learned to wrench on my own bike along the way (very little of the original bike remains!) so that was a major plus as well. I like to tinker with stuff.

Been meaning to “upgrade” for a while now but nothing is convincing me to pull the trigger. I’ve ridden/borrowed/rented dozens of bikes from a Harley Street Bob to a Ducati 959 Panigale to a BMW S1000R and the XJ/FJ still feels more than adequate. My next bike may very well be another Yamaha, either the FZ-09 or XSR900.

I’ll probably never get rid of the XJ/FJ. First love.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  8. Jetfixer

It amazes me how overlooked the XJ seem to be , CB and KZ are much more popular, I've had them both ...but I like the XJ better to me it has good lines and good power and to me best of all shaft drive , I prefer 4 cylinder bikes and these bikes are so smooth no real vibration unlike a Milwaukee paint shaker.

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Can you post some photographs of the bike?

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I agree Jetfixer they are all great bikes but the XJ is overlooked but I would never sell mine. Looks great, powerful, and no final drive chain to maintain.

11. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Wink 1018 above mentioned his grandpa buy the bike off the showroom floor in '81......Well I bought in '82....does that make me ancient too ????

Wintersdark likes this.
  12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

How many grandkids do you have? If answer is zero, you aren't ancient, and I give you permission to bequeath the bike to me.

Wintersdark likes this.
  13. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I purchased mine by chance. I feel lucky as it was a purchase from a friend, so I would have bought whatever it was that he was selling.

There will be other motorcycles in my future, but I could never give up my 700n. She's with me till the end. The way I see it (read: the way I justify NEVER selling), the resale value is low (for the awesome bike that she is), her maintenance is current with many new parts now and I'm waaaaay to emotionally attached! Besides, how much room does it really take up in the garage?

Now I look at my '69 VW and think... Hmmm... how much can I sell that thing for and how many XJ's can I get for the money and fit in that garage spot?

What am I thinking for the future? I see a '82 seca 650 (just because it's awesome) and a Maxim 1100... I have Vetter Faring sitting on the shelf (complete with lowers) just aching to get in the wind on the right bike!

I could definitely fit all three side by side.

Jetfixer likes this.
  14. Jetfixer

I think the same look at my 71 VW that i rarely drive now and wonder ... that is until I get in it and drive it nah I'll keep it..got to many $$$$ tied up ....same as my Seca happy I got both:)

15. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I'm glad you said that. Mine has been under a cover. I've got at least 20k locked up in it already... 3k on the motor alone (2180cc). It was my thing when I was in my twenties. Nothing but time to spend on it and a majority of every piddly paycheck at the time when into it. The problem is that while I was there alongside the "project manager" (a friend of mine) for every turn of every bolt, HE was the true mastermind of the rebuild.

He's out of the picture now... and All be it a beautiful car, It is a true Frankenstein's Monster. Nothing is stock. Electronic ignition, electric fuel pump, power windows, solenoids pop the doors open, alarm, stereo, the wiring is a giant mystery to me.

I have no connection to it and every time I have a problem with something it is days of frustrating hair pulling (and I don't have much left!) trying to track down the cause.

I have sons now... Maybe some day there will be a renewed interest. Until then she watches me throw a leg over the XJ daily. It's a love affair.

16. Jetfixer

17. Jetfixer

My 71 started out as a cheap car for my wife ended up $$$ put it on a 73 pan slammed and aluminum case 1776 lots of good stuff . Redone it all about 15 years ago... needs another paint job ...and a rewire job maybe one day .

Nuch likes this.
  18. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

Diet_Help001.jpg [​IMG][​IMG]

Tim O and Jetfixer like this.
  19. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

That's the plan.

However, my daughter shows more interest in bikes than my son. I'm not hurt about it. He loves guns, like his old man....

20. Jetfixer

So the season is drawing to a close in the upper midwest ..going to be in the 70s but thundershowers:rolleyes: ..came home cut yard . Took a short ride around block to hear the sound and feel of the bike really makes my blood flow. To me the XJ is the ideal bike yes I keep mine for the most part stock with subtle upgrades. I love seeing others bikes and projects ...I love this site and like trying to assist others with their projects...happy riding:)

cgutz likes this.