1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike out of balance?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by tabaka45, Sep 20, 2017.

1. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

If I coast in neutral, hands off the handlebar, with my Honda Rebel or my XJ700 the bike is perfectly balanced and tracts true and straight. However, with my Honda 750 Shadow it wants to slightly pull to the right. I can lean a little to the left and keep it on course. I've checked the rear wheel alignment and it is good. It is so slight that it isn't noticeable at all with hands on the handlebar. Granted, I don't normally ride hands free but I am curious about what is causing the pull. Any ideas?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Headstock bearings tight, and not notchy?
    Forks aligned to the wheel? Bars aligned to the forks?
    Both rear shocks adjusted the same?

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

there's so many variables it's hard to tell, tires, speed, same road, try moving your wallet to the other pocket. that might tilt you over a bit and fix it.
    even if the tires are in alignment, are they square to the ground, like | /. or just don't do dat

4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Yep. Crown of the road... trying riding against traffic on the other side and see if she pulls left.

Uh no, don't really do that ^^^

5. tabaka45

Bearings and bars are fine. Will check the fork alignment--that was my second thought after the tire alignment. I'll check the shocks but I've never touched them.

Tried on a perfectly flat parking lot but it still pulled right. Even crossed the center line on a vacant road and I can get it to tract true due to the crown, but it never pulls left.

I'm really thinking fork alignment. Not a big deal, but I am curious.

Stumplifter likes this.
  6. REUBEN

REUBEN Member

THE OTHER BIKES YOU LISTED ARE IN-LINE ENGINES, RIGHT? COULD THE V-TYPE CONFIGURATION OF THE SHADOW BE A FACTOR?

7. tabaka45

Don't think so. My wife's 750 Aero tracts true.

8. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Also think of cable runs. If your clutch or throttle cable is a little short or long, run incorrectly, or you've got aftermarket bars/risers that changed the arrangement, it can put a bit of steering input on the handlebars, steering the bike. If you get the front wheel off the ground, is it easier to push one the handlebars one way vs the other (as in does one way drop faster than the other)?

9. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Have you checked that the fork oil is even and at the proper level on both fork tubes?

10. tabaka45

The bike is bone stock 2001 Honda Shadow. It has done this since I got it from my son with about 3300 miles. It now has about 38,000. Hadn't thought about fork oil levels but it might be worth checking. The forks have never leaked. It is so slight that I even thought it might be the windshield which I might recheck.