1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Anyone do the VT registration loophole?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by wgul, Nov 18, 2017.

1. wgul

wgul Active Member

http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04/get-a-title-with-a-vermont-registration/

I picked up an xj a few months ago with no title. It seems anyone can register a bike in VT and then transfer it to your own state.

It says bikes over 500cc need a vin verification but I don't know if it can be done in any state outside of VT.

I'd be really interested in hearing about your experience doing a VT registration being an out-of-stater.

2. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

I have gone through it for one of my bikes. You have to pay approx. $44.00 for the registration which includes a one year plate (they do not issue you a title, only a registration with plates ). I also had to have a bill of sale from the seller and pay VT a 6 percent sales tax on the sale price. I purchased the bike for $295. However, I paid sales tax on a $600 sale value. The VT rules require that you pay at minimum on a $600 sale price. So the tax was $30.00. I had to get the VIN and odometer readings verified with local Sheriff's office. Sent everything in and got my registration and plates within a couple of weeks. The expensive part came about when applying for a FL title using the VT registration. That came out to be about $160 or so. I think FL charges an initial surcharge on vehicles coming from out of state. Big money generator for them. So a little over $230 total. A cost which needs to be considered when negotiating price for an untitled bike.

wgul likes this.
  3. wgul

wgul Active Member

Excellent xj; just the kind of reply I
    Was hoping to get. When you say "local" sheriff's office, you mean in VT, right? Thanks a lot for sharing your experience

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

never mind

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  5. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Hey wgul, no, not in VT. I never left Florida. VT rules state "Any sanctioned agency in your state tasked with the ability to verify the VIN and odometer." In Florida, that means either the DMV offices (if you can trailer the bike there for inspection), a state trooper or a county sheriff.

In my case, the bike was 2 hours away and I went down with a trailer but after hours so the DMV was closed. I called the county sheriff for that county the day before and asked if I will be able to bring it to the sheriff's office. They said they can have a deputy meet me somewhere to do the verification. They told me to call back when I am ready to do so. The next day I drove down to purchase the bike. Bought it and got my bill of sale. Called the Sheriff's office and a deputy came and met me at the local McDonald's parking lot. I had already brought the proper document with me for VIN / odometer verification which I printed from the FL DMV website. The deputy verified the VIN and odometer and filled and signed his portion of the document.

I figured, if the VIN came back stolen, I would have the deputy follow me back to the seller's house to get my money back. But not really sure, if at that point, if it becomes a civil matter instead of a criminal matter. So the deputy may not want to get involved in that. Gotta take some risk life I guess. But you are mitigating as much risk as possible. And even if it is a civil matter, i suppose you can take the seller to small claims court.

6. XJ550H

you can always have the vin check done at point of purchase.

7. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

I have done this in Florida also, but I just called the local Sherrifs office and they sent a deputy out to the house to check the VIN for me. Funny thing was it was a 7 digit vin (bike is a 1965 Honda) and it took a while for the deputy to figure out how to search it.
    Oh yeah, I seem to recall having to send the paperwork back to VT three times because in one case I didn't send enough money for the fees, and the second time I sent too much. But overall pretty painless.

wgul likes this.
  8. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Yes, but one should inform the seller first before bring the cops to their house. I didn't bother asking. Figured just the site of a cop car at someone's house may cause neighbors to be curious. If I was selling, it wouldn't bother me. But some people may think differently.

9. XJ550H

do you know anyone in NH ? it would cost them 20 to 25 for vin check and 35 to reg bike then write you bill of sale and you can reg bike in Ma as nh is a non title state for18 year old MV.

10. wgul

wgul Active Member

funny you should ask. It actually has a nh plate on it. Looks like it was registered there 10 yrs ago.

My brother lives in Maine ; maybe I could do that with him. Thanks for the tip
    y