1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

engine side covers

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by regulator, Apr 27, 2006.

1. regulator

regulator Member

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the engine side covers or other metal covers on their bikes? I tried to polish mine only to find they have a coating on them that is hard (so far) to remove, the area's I have gotten thru however look great. Does anyone make custom (decent priced also) side covers for the motor of these bikes? I have thought of some nice chrome but cant find any made for the XJ's anywhere. XJ750 Maxim here. or anyone customized theirs?

2. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Member

They probably have a sprayed on clear coat that will fill up your buffing wheels.
    I would suggest paint stripper to start and then some sanding with 1200 grit wet or dry paper.

Nachoman

3. schmidtap

schmidtap Member

I used a dremel tool and Braso, took a little while, but I got the outside area looking good. check out my gallery for a picture

4. 81xj650

81xj650 New Member

I use aircraft paint stripper which is made for aluminun. I think they spray them with clear lacquer, thats why you get that milky look and starts chipping.After stripping I wet sand with 800 wet paper then polish with mag wheel polish useing a Dremel tool and a nylon cup brush. Works great on fork tubes also. I don't re-finish them just leave them natural, but keep them waxed .One problem I haven't solved though is how to get the jugs & engine case half way clean & natural. I am afraid to use anything too caustic. Anyone have any suggestions? :(

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

I bead blasted mine and painted them with PJ1 Case Black Paint. I would suggest for you folks interested in cleaning up the engine an investment in a 6 to 8" fine brass wire wheel (don't fall for the cheapies that are brass coated steel, you will screw up your aluminum finish). Be forewarned, the good wheels are not cheap nor easily obtained. After rough polish with the wheel, a long string/fingered buffing wheel with polishing rouge would be the next step, and then successively finer polish medium (with a fresh wheel for each grade of polish) would follow until you reach the finish you desire. After a thorough cleaning, you would follow up with the clearest lacquer for a final sealing coat. Minwax sells a good clear lacquer for a reasonable price. Good luck fellows.