1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

petcock issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by fonz, Nov 13, 2007.

1. fonz

fonz Member

so it seems like everytime i fix something, i get a good ride in and the next time i go to the garage something is wrong. this time, a tank of gas leaked onto the floor. this happened once before when i first got the bike but hasnt happened since. it looked like it was dripping from the left side of the bike from the carb bowls. is this a petcock issue like i suspect and what is the best fix? im looking into that extra fuel switch that Rick posted about the other day for one thing.

2. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

pull the fuel line from the petcock and see if gas goes everywhere
    make SURE the petcock is in the ON position during this process!

if the gas stays....
    Look at the carb drain screws next.
    might be worth upgrading to some SS allen heads too

more than likely good insurance to get the inline fuel shutoff Rickco is demo-ing currently

3. dandrewk

dandrewk Member

Also check those float needles and washers.

4. fonz

fonz Member

when i check the float needles am i just looking to see that they move freely or am i checking for wear? last time i had the carbs apart all but one looked in good shape and i replaced that one. also, what washers are you talking about?

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

With the carbs inverted and the bowls off use a piece of hose and blow into the fuel inlet. You'll hear leakers.

To drain the tank you need 2 problems:

1 - leaky needles/seats

2 - fuel valve defective or left on PRI.

6. dandrewk

dandrewk Member

The washers, usually metal but sometimes fiber, that sit beneath the brass float needle seat.

7. chevybythesea

chevybythesea Member

I have the same leaky petcock issue...gas all over the floor. Mine is from the petcock, though. I pulled the tank, disconnected all lines, and it leaks probably an ounce every 3 minutes. I have taken apart the petcock, and everything looks fine. Still leaks. Put a little stronger spring in, still leaks. Now when I listen to the tank as it sits (and drains gas on the floor), I can hear the hissing of air....and it is coming from the gas cap. Is the gas cap supposed to leak, or to seal completely? I am looking at the rubber seal of the gas cap right now, and it is probably the original seal....cracking a bit, and hard as a rock. Is this the problem? Could it be?

8. fonz

fonz Member

i hear hissing from my tank too. and gas bubbles through the keyhole if the tank is full after running. after the first time it leaked all the gas, i thought it might be a problem with venting pressure in the tank so now i pop the gas cap after riding. i dont think thats the issue anymore. im gonna take the tank off and check the petcock and then work on the carbs this weekend.