1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Literally the best chain lube

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by LarryMc, Jan 7, 2018.

1. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

After years of trying every product know-to-man I found, IMO, the best stuff for chain lubrication. I use Dupont Multi-use Teflon Lubricant, it literally provides the least "cast off" of any chain lube out there. Period. When used correctly and allowed set up time your chain won't be flinging lube around like an impact yard sprinkler. No more grease freckles on the left side of you or your passengers riding gear.
    Read the reviews and comparison tests out there. It, hands down, always wins real world testing, every time. Great stuff, try it and you'll never use anything else, ever.
    The only catch is you have to start out with a virgin chain or one that is perfectly clean for the stuff to provide these results. Sprockets must be spotless also. I have 5 bikes and changed the drive chains on all of them after discovering this stuff with in two year period.
    Additionally, chain and sprocket noise is silent or nonexistent which seems to be something people just come to terms with. Your chain actually should not be a noisy component of your bike if maintained and adjusted correctly. Remember how quiet the chain was when it was new? This stuff combined with a clean unworn chain and sprockets is magic for street bikes.
    Honestly....
    Dupont sells several variations of Teflon spray lube so to get the correct stuff make sure it's item number D00110101. It has to be this particular product to get the best results.

344-0088.jpg

Maxim-X, Stumplifter and Jetfixer like this.
  2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I use el cheapo 80w90 from Walmart, and that crap sprays all over. The back rim, tire swingarm, my leg, honestly, it's a sick mess. I'm probably using too much, and don't clean off the old stuff enough. Chain maintenance is not my favorite thing, especially since the Rebel doesn't have a center stand. Yet another thing I miss about my Seca... I guess a center stand and shaft drive are two things.

3. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I use the same 80w90 oil. I dribble it on the chain, spin the back wheel by hand, then use a rag to wipe off and spread the excess oil while turning the back wheel again. After a short drive, I repeat the wiping again, to remove excess.

SAFETY FIRST - be careful not to pinch your fingers in the sprocket while doing this - DON'T have the back wheel turning from the motor for this.

Next time I replace chain and sockets, I may use the OP's recommended Teflon spray.

4. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

+1 on the Dupont Teflon lube. I use the chain version. It may be exactly the same formulation as the one posted above. Have no idea, but either way, it is incredible stuff and does everything the OP stated. Highly recommend.

[​IMG]

5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I'm currently running a non-oring chain (standard chain). If I clean it really well, would this product be effective for standard chains?

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I wish. With only a side stand, I'm forced to do a few inches, then roll the bike to access a new section of chain and repeat. I brush it on with a small artist's paintbrush. Maybe a rag would be more tidy.
    I didn't wash my bike before winter, as I was holding out for one more ride, so that slop is sitting on the rim and swingarm all winter. Spring cleaning is going to be a chore!

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you need
    [​IMG]

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

My 80w/90 oil comes in a bottle with a squirt nozzle, similar to what Polock suggested.

9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yeah, I have the nozzle too. What I really need is an axle stand. It was on my Xmas wish list, but apparently I wasn't a good boy...

cgutz likes this.
  10. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

A paintbrush is a good idea to "distribute" the oil prior to using a rag to wipe off excess.

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

before i got a axle stand for my suzuki i used a hi-tech 2X4, tipped it over on the front wheel and side stand and put the 2X4 under the swingarm to hold it there.
    not real stable but it got the job done. now i realize i don't like putting it up on the axle stand and the 2X4 took up much less room

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sky hooks work:rolleyes:

13. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

That's the stuff I always used on my bike when I was racing back in the mid 2000's. I have used it on my 1200 Bandit since the racing ended and have had no issues. I don't know if I converted anyone in the pits, but I would walk up to my buddies and spray it on the palm of my hand and ask them if they would ever do that with traditional chain lube. Had to admit, got some strange reactions but this stuff is super clean to use. After a ride I usually put the Bandit on the centre (center) stand, put in first and slip the clutch while pointing the spray tube at the chain. Shut the bike off after giving it a good soak and let it sit, that's it

Timbox and Polock like this.
  14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

notice Mr-X said AFTER, that's important.

15. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

...exactly, after a ride the chain develops some heat and this helps to draw the lube into the chain. I guess I should have mentioned this in the original post. Depending on the level of knowledge you have in maintaining your bike lubing a cold or (dirty chain for that matter) is not recommended.

16. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Ha! I thought Polock was being funny, like not putting the bike on the stand while riding!
    Thanks for sharing this. I was doing both!

17. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

After seeing the post on the DuPont Teflon chain lubricate I decided to give it a try on my 750 Shadow. The chain and sprockets have about 10,000 miles on them and all I’ve ever done is keep the tension in specs and oil the chain. I’ve used some of the wax based spray and some oil to lube the chain, so while the rollers looked good the links had a good buildup of wax/oil and road dirt. So I bought a grunge brush and some kerosene and really cleaned the chain so that it looked like new. I then applied the DuPont teflon spray and let the bike sit overnight. When I took the bike for a ride I was blown away by the difference in how it felt. Not only was it much quieter but it was much smoother and I think it actually accelerated better. Don’t know if it was the result of just the cleaning or just the lubricant or a combination of both, but I’m sold on the combination. Wish I had done this long ago.

18. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I'm glad my testimony converted, at least, one individual.
    I am now surrounded by a zen aura.

19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Points toward chain lube guru status. You don't get straight up lube guru status until you can beat K-moe's "choosing the correct lube" thread.

PS If I didn't have a full bottle of the 80w90 to use out in the garage, I'd give it a shot too. Remind me of this product in a couple of years...

20. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

following the chain lube procedure goes a long ways I clean and lube non oring after every day of riding apply lube when chain is still hot
    o ring chains every 300 miles but still clean it off every day of riding
    upload_2018-1-26_17-39-5.png