1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Finally got myself a genuine service manual!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wifflebat, Feb 6, 2018.

1. wifflebat

wifflebat New Member

So finally, after 2 years of periodically trawling the web and ebay, I've got myself a Yamaha service manual. All the ones in the US were going to cost a clean fortune in postage and customs it seemed (I'm in Northern Ireland). I found the correct version LIT-11616-XJ-60 on ebay from Denmark and it arrived last week.
    I already have a Haynes manual and the bits and pieces I found through this website but I now feel like I might have half a chance of tackling what I've got (see below for pics...no wiring loom fitted for a start!).
    I still have a few push-bike projects to get finished and a GasGas trials bike to tidy up and then I will make a start

1. Clean off all the dust!
    2. Change all engine fluids, pop a bit of diesel into the spark plug holes and replace all spark plugs
    3. while that's soaking try to wire up the very basics of the ignition system with a combination of the manual and Youtube vids I have found on the subject. Lights etc are waaaaay down the line!
    4. Try to crank it over by hand to check that everything seems free

That's phase 1. If that doesn't go well, I will have to re-evaluate the whole thing. Maybe it isn't the project for me!

Phase 2

5. Sort out the dubious looking petcock (can I replace this easily or are they all different? Is there a modern, more easily obtained alternative? Research needed here...)
    6. Take a deep breath and remove the carbs for the trip to church. Check/replace the air filter (no pods thank goodness!). Thanks to all the posts on here re the carb cleaning!
    7. Inspect and clean the tank (it doesn't look too bad).
    8. Take another deep breath and fire it up.

If that, at least partially, goes well I could be onto something.
    It also has no log book and the DVLA have no record of the VIN so I suspect it's an American import. DVLA don't seem to think there will be a problem registering it but I'm not doing anything until I'm sure I can get it running!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3xu86su1zv4by1p/AABuH1liNrOZTrNUohvXhgJka?dl=0

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

If you don't know the provenance/maintenance history, it is recommended you check valve clearances and correct them first. It seems everything else is difficult or impossible to fine tune if your valves are off.

Then check safety items, brakes, brake lines, age of the tires, etc. If you get it going, but can't stay going, or can't stop, bad things happen!

Enjoy.

3. wifflebat

wifflebat New Member

Many thanks for the valve tip.

...Tyres and brakes are about phase 4 or 5 of it makes it that far!

4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I'm sure one of us has a stock wiring harness, I'm pretty sure I do