1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj750-nonX valve shim musical chairs.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mark Wallace Foote, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Wallace Foote

Mark Wallace Foote New Member

What he did is ask questions until he found something to take issue with. Then he started the lecture. I was unaware such issue would be taken in what I thought was two guys talking shop. I never should have engaged. I had the info I came for. But I tried to be hospitable. Big mistake. For everyone that takes issue with my remark, I wonder how many are saying finally someone has called it like they see them without being intimidated by the forum bullys.

2. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

wow.I learned a lot via this thread. I dread doing my shim experience more now. When I get to that point I will be clear what the shim numbers on the shim is, and ask whether which way I should state the adjustment range I am using per the manual.Thousandths,or mm, or which.And telling me how to properly state it will be helpful.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Please quote any of the questions that I asked.
    Please also re-read my response to the insult that you directed at me.
    I wrote very clearly about my intent. helping others in person is difficult enough. Doing so effectively when the machine being worked on is hundreds, or even thousands, of miles away requires the use of precise language, and clarity. Others will read posts later, and if that clarity is not provided, they will be led astray.
    We do not bully here. We do make sure that motorcycles are preserved and ridden; even by people who never post a question, but only read what others have posted.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

No need to dread... It is only marginally more involved than an oil and filter change. If you provide your numbers, people here can guide you in the shim swap do si do, which can help you move the ones you have around to minimize the new ones that you need. Also, a member here runs a shim pool so you can swap unnecessary sizes for required ones and save from purchasing new ones. The difficulty arises when you take umbrage with the questions directed at clarifying the process.

Unless you have an x. Then you have problems... Five valves per cylinder, and they're waaaay down in there!

Plug and k-moe like this.
  5. 78dave

78dave New Member

I would add here that the numbers I read seems to be SAE converted to MM. I checked mine with SAE and of course that was wrong. Then I got a MM feeler gauge and did it again. In fact, I did it numerous times to make sure I had it right. Those tiny feeler gauge blades get stuck together so quickly you don't even know it. Very easy to make a bad read. Check it again and again. I check mine with the lob 180 degrees opposite the shim. Each check takes about 15 minutes total time. Not a lot of time investment to get it right. Might even step away and come back.

My two cents on bullying. Just not needed anywhere anytime at any age. There is no woodshed here so being a jerk is easier when people don't know who you are. Not saying that is the case here, but its nice when I read comments without attitudes, arrogance, or a sense of entitlement. Its like asking for an opinion and about the sunrise time and the response is, "I never get up before noon". Add to that all the extra that makes getting up at noon the right thing to do. Great forum here and I have been all over it getting information. Sometimes just like checking the shims I look for consistency. I might read opinions that differ. YICS tool anyone?

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

It makes a good back scratcher.

7. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

Shims weigh very little. I wonder how they would be sent.In a small box or envelope probably. I also assume they are cheap. I wonder what makes them have different wear . Also I figure the whole process doesnt have to be done often.Depending how much and in what manner a person rides. The one I am going to try to fix has 19,000 miles. And from the look of oil I doubt it has ever been touched.I am hijacking the thread. I will butt out.

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Intervals are printed in the manual. It has to do with mileage. X heads can go far longer between checks/adjustments.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

shims do not normaly wear the valves pound them selves into the valve seat closing the clearance.
    most ebay people send shims wrapped in saran wrap in a first class envelope or bubble pack envelope
    after market shims about 8$ oem 35$

metric bike metric feelers why do you ask just look at the specs for valves
    upload_2018-2-14_18-17-31.png notice the sae number 0.006 it = both 0.15mm and 0.16mm
    for feeler gauges you can just buy a few and do the go nogo test so all you need is the smallest clearance feeler and the larger clearance feeler.
    if small one does not go in get a thinner shim if the biggest one slips freely and flops get a thicker shim.

no one bullied the op he got offended on being corrected. we do do that so we can give the correct info
    some times I want to scream at posters here because getting info from them is like pulling hens teeth but i just keep asking questions.
    we all help, teach, and learn

yics tool not needed why is it not needed ?
    1 because when you use it the carbs are not working like they do in the real world,
    2 to use it you have to make sure all the tiny holes are clear ,
    3 I have seen a few ruined heads when someone gets to agresive trying to remove the port bolts.

cruiserlover and k-moe like this.
  10. Mark Wallace Foote

I did not ask for any additional help.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you will soon, and we all want to help. You will not find a better resource on the web for XJ motorcycles. between the collective knowledge and the rapid response. you could literally sit at your bike and get answers while you work.
    hubris is downfall of many a man

12. Mark Wallace Foote

Dear dreaded. Do your home work before asking for help. If not you will probably get a lecture. Good Luck. I'm sure it will be fine. Most of these people want to help. Actually I think they all want to help. I'm just surprised there are a couple that are not as good at giving advice with tact.

13. Mark Wallace Foote

14. Mark Wallace Foote

Yes hubris is exactly what we have here. And it is a shame. This sight should be user friendly. Shouldn't we all be friends. After all we have the same interests.

k-moe likes this.
  15. k-moe

I think we've all said our peace. Let's move-on, and get some bikes fixed.

Timbox, Plug, Nuch and 1 other person like this.
  16. Robb

Robb Member

Do you often over react this much Mark?

17. Mark Wallace Foote

I guess Robb can't let it die. Wants to take a back handed swat. Good for you Robb. Thought we had moved on.

18. k-moe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.