1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ900 Refresh / Resto

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 1965soda, Feb 4, 2018.

1. 1965soda

1965soda Member

I have a question I am hoping the knowledge of the forum can help me with. As I was going through and cleaning wiring connections, I found the ground cable from the battery to the back of the engine/transmission but I did not see a cable going from the engine/trans to the chassis. Is there a cable and if so, where would I look for that?

Thanks for all the help and for any info you may have regarding the ground cable.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

typicaly there is a ground from motor to frame.
    on 750 there are 2 cables at rear of motor that connect back to frame on left side it is just under the regulator mount panel on the 750

3. XJ550H

the 2 circles may be the grounds
    upload_2018-3-18_22-45-24.png

4. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Thanks XJ550H. That is where I found the one ground cable that runs direct to the battery....but did not see a second one in that area. I will look again this evening.

Do you by chance have a picture or know of where the chassis connection should be attached on the frame itself?

Thanks again for the help!

5. XJ550H

no I do not own xj900 but the Hgfiddles may be able to help you @hogfiddles

6. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Thanks again XJ550H....I appreciate the response and the recommendation to check in with hogfiddles.....I may do that.

I did look over the bike again tonight and I am unable to locate an engine to chassis ground cable nor an obvious post on the frame where a cable would connect. I did recall cleaning a ground wire and post (not very heavy gauge) at the coil. That may be it....if I don't see anything else as I am going over the bike and awaiting parts, I will give hogfiddles a shout.

Thanks again.

7. XJ550H

there isgrounds at the coil some bikes have 1 some have 2 one of them goes back to the voltage regulator connector.

if you look at photos in this thread you will see the motor to frame grounds
    XJ750 Engine removal and split - Pictures.

you can see the ground strap hanging off this 900 motor
    upload_2018-3-19_21-1-7.png

8. Furman

Furman Member

Great find, awesome bike, best of luck on the project!

It may not be the same in the 900, but on my 83 XJ650 Maxim the engine-to-frame ground goes to one of the airbox mounting bolts on the left side of the bike ahead of the regulator/rectifier and TCI units.

9. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Thanks Furman and again....thank you for all the guidance XJ550H! I am not able to locate a second ground cable running to any of the attachment points on the frame.

Exchanged messages with hogfilldes and I am attaching a picture of the back of the engine/trans. Sorry it is sideways...that was the only way I could get in close enough with the camera. Anyway, there is just one cable attached and it runs straight to the battery.

Thanks for any additional guidance to help me determine if I am missing something!
    DSCN2574.JPG

10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I don't believe there is a 2nd ground wire on the 900's...............the 650 and 750 models used that 2nd ground wire because the regulator is mounted on the plastic plate, and so I guess Yamaha decided "better safe than sorry" and worked up an extra ground cable from one of the plate mounting bolts to the frame.

Of course, you can always run extra ground wires from any spot on the frame to any place on the the engine case (engine case is good, the point on the engine case where the battery ground cable is attached is best) to try and eliminate any electrical gremlins. Many/most electrical problems are not power SUPPLY problems but rather are "poor grounding" problems. All circuits require both a supply (+12V from the battery or alternator) as well as a ground back to the battery. SUPPLY tends to be more reliable (except for the fusebox!) since there are individual supply wires running everywhere....that's what makes up the majority of a "wiring harness".

Although some components have individual ground wires, a lot of components are grounded thru the frame, or go to common grounds (by the ignition coil mount is one common ground area; whenever you see a bare RING TERMINAL with black wires running to it, well, that's a ground and you should make sure that ring terminal is not corroded, and perhaps remove it periodically and sand down the area on the frame where it is attached, as neither rust, paint, nor powdercoat is a conductor of electricity).

Franz and XJ550H like this.
  11. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Thanks for the response chacal! I feel better now knowing I am not likely missing anything that could cause me some problems. I appreciate your thoughts on the fuse block....I have not opened that but meant to. I now have it on my list to open, inspect, and clean connections.

I can 100% confirm your insight on the detrimental impacts of a bad ground connection! I have worked on several aluminum framed bikes where they exhibited some sporadic run-ability issues. Upon removal of the ground cables I found the metal of the cable hoop had interacted with the aluminum mounting point and although it was tight and secure, there was a layer of material that needed to be sanded/cleaned to restore the ground. Probably less likely with the steel frames on the XJ bikes....but like you said....still a good reminder to clean all electrical connections.

Thanks again everyone for the research and guidance!

12. 1965soda

1965soda Member

A little time today to keep the project moving forward. I had to post with something that made me chuckle...even though I ended up wasting some time figuring it out. First, picture of the inside of the fuse block. It really looks good to me.....there even was not much dust inside. Wire coating shows no signs of heat or cracking and the fuse holders also look sound. I cleaned it up and moved on to reassembling the front.

DSCN2575.JPG

Reinstalled the wheel and rebuilt calipers. As I typically do, give the wheel a spin to make sure it rolls smoothly and nothing seems out of place. I hear a faint clicking sound. My first reaction is the speedo drive or a bearing. Pull the wheel and check the drive, seems smooth in my hands, bearings turn freely and smoothly with my fingers. Hmmm....reinstall the wheel again and give it a spin. Same faint click. Get down to listen at the axle, on each side...seems the sound is coming from the rim area. What the heck....did I drop something in the tire when I dismounted it and reinstalled it to correct the direction? Just about to pull the wheel again and......

DSCN2577.JPG

found one of the wheel weights was a little loose on it's clip and it was sliding back/forth as the wheel rotated around! Good gravy....although frustrating I pulled the wheel unnecessarily....I am sure glad I did not dismount the tire looking for something inside! A small piece of foam under it and all is quiet. :)

Hope you all have a super weekend!

13. 1965soda

1965soda Member

I should mention....I know I should replace the brake lines and I probably will but I really need to get this thing done and ready for when the weather turns so I can take it for a short ride. I am hoping I really fall in love with this bike like I did with my original 900 back in the mid 1980's. A good friend who owns a dealership called the other day and he just got in a bike I have been looking for and I would really like to say no....I want to keep the Seca. :)

14. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Good afternoon. Thought I was on the home stretch but found a problem. After changing oil/filter, I noticed small puddle under the rear part of the transmission. Oil is dripping out of the weep hole on the bottom of the shaft drive accordion boot. I assume it is likely the rear output shaft seal but wanted to see if there may be another possible cause.

Thanks for your expertise!

15. chacal

It could be just accumulated crud/water,minor leakage trapped in the boot, weep hole was blocked until you started messing with things and now it's purging itself. Only way to know for sure is to pull off/peel back the boot and see what's living in there.....

16. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Thanks chacal! I did as you recommended and thankfully you appear to be correct. The area around the seal itself looks dry. I will clean up the oil/moisture/sludge in the bottom of the boot and keep an eye on it as I get a chance to get a few miles on it.

17. chacal

:)

18. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Hi everyone. In an effort to document the progress on the bike, I wanted to provide some updated pictures. Most of this is the most enjoyable part of the project for me as much of the dirty work is done and progress is more visible as I start reassembling parts on the bike. This is after nearly all of the cleaning is done and I have polished out the painted parts.

Here is the front fairing going back on the bike and sorting through the wiring that flows in/out of it.

DSCN2578.JPG
    DSCN2579.JPG
    DSCN2580.JPG
    DSCN2585.JPG
    DSCN2582.JPG

19. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Air scoops back in place.....

DSCN2588.JPG
    DSCN2589.JPG

20. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Finally....bike right way around on the lift....and I pulled the rear wheel to check the seal and clean the back part of the bike up. Also removed the upper cowl for cleaning....oh the dust and dirt! Still shaking my head about all the smashed bugs on the bike and in every little nook and crevice. :-( Had I known how much effort it was to just get clean....I would have bargained some more on price.

DSCN2592.JPG
    DSCN2593.JPG
    DSCN2594.JPG

chacal likes this.