1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Moral Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Fraps, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Fraps

Fraps Member

So, I've got a line on an '82 Maxim 550. Hasn't run for 1.5 years and I've talked the kid down to 200 bucks and a 24. Thoughts?

My dilemma is that I already have a Seca 650, Seca 650 Turbo.

2. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

Unless you really want a 550 project I dont really see the point. I dont have much fun on anything smaller than a 650 and even then the 650 can get boring at times. But hey it's your choice! If I needed a project or something to tinker with I would buy it... 200 bucks isnt bad as long as it doesnt need 500 dollars in parts to get going.

3. chilidog

chilidog Member

you shoud be able to turn it over for some cake anyway.

4. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

werd, thats a good idea.

5. jdpesz

jdpesz Member

Is your garage full yet? If so, THAT would be your dilemma!

6. a340driver

a340driver Member

When in doubt ... think about asking your wife ...

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You could make it go and double your money ... easy.
    You'll need the money for child support and alimony if the family ain't on board with the deal.

"Other than that, Mrs. Kennedy, how did you enjoy your visit to Dallas?"

8. biggmeany2000

biggmeany2000 Member

Even parting it out on e-bay would make ya some cash.

9. gwh57

gwh57 New Member

Hi Fraps
    Don't let these guys fool you The XJ550 will beat the Xj650 in a drag race and most 750cc bikes as well. I know this because I own them both along with the Xj750rh and Xj1100

10. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

go for it, you have the cash? buy it, what harm can come of it. you'll triple your money at least if you get it running! This coming from someone who owns two maxim x's a xj700 and a xv700

11. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

Strange my neighbors 82 550 can't touch my 82650... Off the line or otherwise. But the way I lauch I dont think many people are willing to risk it.

12. gwh57

gwh57 New Member

Try switching bikes and run them. If both bikes are in good running condition the 550 will beat the 650

13. Jackncoke

Jackncoke Member

How does the 550 do after the short spat though? If you were going lets say... 50 down the freeway, which would get up to 70 faster: a 550, a 650, or a 750? All in good running order.

14. RickCoMatic

You really think a 550 would whip a 750 in the quarter-mile?

I don't see how that would compute.
    The 750 HAS to be making more Torque and Horsepower.

15. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

The difference is about 21 HP and 50 pounds between the two bikes and he is about 20 pounds heavier than I am. Sorry to say it but there is no way his 550 is going to take my 650 I leave him behind everytime, and from a roll he doesnt stand a chance. Both of our bikes run pretty well. Although his is stock, mine has been jetted for the 4into1 and PODS which are not installed currently but I highly doubt thats making any serious power. But still I would love to meet someone near me with a healthy 550 and show them the back of my 650 in a drag race.

16. RickCoMatic

The reason I asked is that several times over the Summer I played Red-Light a few times to see what the Old Girl was made of and even though I didn't win too many street-fights; I didn't get embarassed too many times pulling up to the nest light ... late!

On the Highway, I couldn't get the lightning acceleration that some of the Plastic-Wrappers had going ... but, I stayed with a bunch of 'em on Father's Day when the bikes were rolling up to Loudin for Bike Weekend.

I just don't see how a 550 can pack enough wallop to stay footpeg to footpeg with a bikes that have more punch.

But, then ... there are bikes out there that ain't tuned-up all that well and maybe a 550 all Dialed-in for lean-sided running can get to the right hand side of the tach faster than some bigger mil running rich.

17. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

Your correct Rick there are always exceptions, as for my experience with my neighbors 550, it runs very well but it just doesnt hold up to my 650. Not that the 650 is anything worth bragging about, I love all of the old Yamahammers.

18. gwh57

gwh57 New Member

What all you people out there fail to realize is the 550 is lighter, higher revving, 6 speed. chain drive. I have kept up with a gsxr750 till about 65mph run and beaten zx6r ninjas, xj650, kz750, cb750k till I topped out witch I guess is about 110-115mph. This bike is a 1/8 mile or stop light to stop light city screamer

19. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

I'm gonna have to call shananigans on your beating a ZX6R or the GSXR (I own an 05-6R)I'm not trying to be an ass but I feel I need to educate you a little and give you some technical info before you go any further. First off my 6R puts out MORE THAN TWICE the hp(stock) your 550 does (stock). They weigh about the same. I redline at 15k (where I produce 122 RWHP on the dyno) It runs near 3.5 seconds 0-60 mph. My 1/8 mile times on the strip are a hair under 7 seconds with my 60 ft around 1.7 avg. I cross the 1/4 in the high 10's at around 127 Mph. If you were racing a ZX6R I can assure you he wasn't trying. As for the GSXR750's, once again they arent trying. BUT I would love for you to prove me wrong.You should go to your local strip and show us some slips! But argueing that your Maxim is faster than two of the fastest modern sport bikes in the 600-750 cc classes is pointless and a losing battle. As for the Maxims who knows, all I know is my neighbors 550 will not keep up with my 650 and certainly NEVER touch my 6R from 0-60, in the 1/8, or the quarter. Unless you have modified the internals of the motor big time...

20. jdpesz

jdpesz Member

That's what I like about this forum. A thread can get hijacked to the moon and back and nobody cares.... 8)