1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

2Fast Moto Exhaust

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by RTB, Apr 9, 2017.

1. twerth

twerth Member

Those eBay slip-ons look suspiciously like Harley mufflers. I've bought barely used pairs Harley mufflers off CraigsList for $20 for use on a few past projects. High quality chrome, and they can be drilled out if you want a little more sound. I haven't used them on an XJ, but here are some shots of a couple other bikes I've put them on. These both happen to be Goldwings, but I've put them on an old GS750 and a GR650 too.
    IMG_2621.JPG 2018-06-06 13.57.45.jpg

2. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Nice Bikes :)

3. twerth

twerth Member

Thanks! Kind of wish I'd kept the bottom one.

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I've heard of Sportster mufflers being used as slip ons for xjs...

Nice looking 'Wings, BTW! I like em nude!
    A guy I know has one, rides it so hard, he had to replace valve covers because he wore through them from dragging them in corners!

5. twerth

twerth Member

They're fairly spunky bikes once you strip all the excess off. Still fairly heavy though.

But to get back to the OP's subject, I keep an eye on Craigslist for the Harley mufflers and snatch 'em when a cheap pair pops up. I usually keep a pair on the shelf just in case. BTW, the set on the top bike are off a Sportster and the set on the bottom bike are off a Softail. The Softail mufflers are a bit bigger. I also think you want to look for mufflers off a 2002 or older. I've heard these are a little less restrictive, and there may be catalyst issues with newer ones.

MattiThundrrr likes this.