1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

poorly running

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chevybythesea, Dec 6, 2007.

1. chevybythesea

chevybythesea Member

So I got the petcock fixed (no leaks!) and I went to start the bike....runs crappy! It takes full choke to run (not on prime, though, like last time). and doesn't respond favoribly to the throttle. If I add throttle, or take the choke off, it dies, like it isn't getting fuel.

Tank is full, new fuel filter, new gas, clean tank inside, clean petcock, what is wrong? :?:

2. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

Sounds like you may have a blockage in one or more of your jets. It may be time for a tear down and a cleaning of your carbs.

3. chevybythesea

chevybythesea Member

That would make sense, I guess. A month ago I had the old liner in the tank come apart on me. I took time, dipped the tank, then recoated it. Prior to this, the bike ran great! Now it runs crappy. However, I did have a fuel filter in place....how would the jets get dirty? Anything else it could be?

4. fonz

fonz Member

agreed. if the petcock is fine and gas flows, take out the carbs and give them a good cleaning. im doing mine this weekend. had a stuck slide needle and wasnt getting any fuel.

5. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

If you want to know for sure if the problem is with the tank or the carbs, rig up a new gas tank and feed the carbs from that. If the problem goes away, it's your tank/petcock/fuel filter. If it's the same-old-same-old, then it's in your carbs.