1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 550 Oil leaking out around header/exhaust port

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Wihburg, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Wihburg

Wihburg New Member

Hello everyone, sorry if this is discussed somewhere already. I searched and could not find anything. I recently bought two XJ550 Seca’s. I have one running well after sitting for several years. I cleaned the carbs, performed a valve clearance and did a compression check. The bike fires right up, idles well and sounds great. Unfortunately I discovered a strange oil leak. When the bike is running oil seems to be leaking out around the header of cylinder one. I tried to see if it is dripping down from the valve cover and I do not believe it is. The oil is clean oil. There was no oil on the spark plug when I checked it. The compression in that cylinder was 120 cold before I did a valve adjustment and with the airbox on. It was 142 with the engine warm,not hot, with airbox off after valve adjustment. The bike has an aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust. Do you guys think it’s possible that a PO over tightened the studs and cracked the head and this is where the oil is coming from? Any help is appreciated.

Bill

2. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

Could it be from the tach gear housing? there is an o-ring (or maybe a d-ring) that tends to leak.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. Wihburg

Wihburg New Member

I hope that’s all it is guys. I’m getting my vehicle serviced right now. When I get home I will clean the engine well then dust it. Thanks for the reply.