1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Extended Idling

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Craig B, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

This summer was a real Hot one in Ontario this year with temps passing 30 degrees C quite often.

Very rarely do I ever have to sit in traffic without moving so this thought had never really crossed my mine until now.
    I was sitting in traffic caused by construction and we didn't move one inch for what seemed like forever. Had to be at least 10-20 minutes.

This got me wondering what the air cooled engine thought of all this. No wind to sweep away all that engine heat.
    I shut the bike down while I waited but was wondering if that was necessary or if others do the same.

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

There are oil cooler options for most, if not all of the XJ bikes. Some, such as the 82 650rj even came with one from the factory. I think xjbikes dot com (link at top right corner) carries the aftermarket ones...

3. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I was aware of an oil cooler option but I almost never get stuck in traffic.
    Where I ride mostly from work to home and occasionally to the cottage the normal process is start bike ride without needing to stop except for stop signs etc then shut bike off at destination.
    I dont think an oil cooler is really necessary but this year with the construction it made me wonder about the overheating at idle issue.

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

After several minutes waiting I shut off my bikes, even liquid cooled ones. Likely not necessary for the bike but who wants to breathe more exhaust.

I described a scene I witnessed back in the early 90's at Loudon Speedway in New Hampshire in a previous post. A guy camping next to us brought a 750 Maxim with the specific intention of destroying it. This was "Animal Hill" after all. It went onto the burnout board until the rear tire went poof after burning through the last cords in the tire. Then he slammed the throttle wide open and secured the throttle lock. The bike sat there on the side stand like this with a huge crowd gathered around. After about 25 minutes the revs died down for a few seconds, I assumed because the carb floats were boiling fuel. It was just a hiccup then it roared back wide open for another 5 minutes before it groaned still. In the morning the bike would still turn over. A little bit of traffic congestion won't hurt an XJ.

5. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Anyone that would do that to an engine doesn’t deserve one.

timothy guay and Stumplifter like this.
  6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Fools are often entertaining.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

30 c is about what the low is here most summer evenings.

I fitted an oil cooler as insurance against sitting in traffic in temps above 35 c, and running at freeway speeds for extended periods of time (when the engine will be at its hottest). That was after the engine had almost 20,000 miles on it without an oil cooler.

The engine won't overheat in the temperatures you'll be seeing, even when sitting still.
    If you an snag an oil cooler at a reasonable price, get one. But I don't see it as a necessity for your riding conditions.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  8. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

Awesome.

Thanks everyone.

9. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

If the outside temperature is cooler than the engine it is still cooling.

10. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Shut off the bike. I'd be more worried about the battery running down at idle...

11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Only 30deg centigrade?...that's coooool.....

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Not in Canada!

13. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

For reference, this was caused by warm weather:
    98-007-3-0069.jpg

Craig B likes this.
  14. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

I think most of us in Ontario thought we where all gonna die when the temps stayed over 32 d C for most of the summer. lol