1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starting problems, advice needed

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sarah, Sep 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

Hi all! Long time, hope everyone is doing well!

Ok, this is regarding my 1980 XJ650. I rebuilt the starter last year and it's worked great since until recently. The other day I geared up for a ride and it wouldn't start, the starter spins but isn't spinning the motor, so just a "whirrr" sound. I read up a little and decided to change my oil, it was past time to do that anyway. After the oil change, the bike started just fine, so I rode into town. Once in town with the bike warmed up, the starter again just spins. Luckily I can pop start my bike so I could get home!

Anyway, before I pop the starter off, any ideas? Other posts made me suspect the starter clutch, but it definitely isn't making any noise people attribute to that. There is no gravelly bag of rocks noise, just the starter spinning. My starter solenoid is a cheap generic, could it be causing this? My battery shouldn't be weak as it's fairly new, although while I'm in there I will check the water levels regardless, and make sure all my connections are tight. Any other suggestions anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Go through the starter curcuit and make sure all connections are clean.
    If you haven't rebuilt the starter, then pull it for inspection and cleaning. It may need need brushes.
    If that causes no change, then the starter clutch will need to be rebuilt (replace the alternator chain guide at the same time).

3. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

The starter was rebuilt about a year ago or so. One of the battery terminal screws was a little loose, and it started right up, but of course it was cold. Man I sure hope it isn't the starter clutch!

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

My 750 starter clutch slips when it gets hot , hit starter a few times and it catches . Good chance this is what is happening to your bike . The springs and rollers loose their tension from the age and heat or worse the clutch cracks . Eventually I'm going to have to the starter clutch replacement , I have spare engine I may swap in and replace starter clutch .

5. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

Ugh I so don't want it to be the starter clutch!

I've looked through the wiring, connections, and checked the battery.

If it is the starter clutch, what is the procedure there? Has anyone done a write up I can get a link to?

What would cause the starter clutch to fail @ only 25,000 miles? It never has made the gravelly noise others have described as a starter clutch failure.