1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maxim Hard Start

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Retromoto, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

When I bought my bike the P.O. put a K&N filter in the airbox bike never did run quite right . I put a stock paper filter In and wow ran so much better. After I took carbs to church awhile back put the K&N back in it ran poorly was hard to start and did not run very well ...so it now sits in my spare parts box .

2. Retromoto

Retromoto Member

Thanks for the reply. Where do the O-rings go? There were no O-rings when I took out the originals although I did notice them in the rebuild kit. If the O-ring goes under the threaded portion, wouldn't raise the needle and keep it from seating? Agree with you on the throttle at starting rpm. I am still tweaking but it started better over the weekend.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the orings are very very small if you did not see them they are still in the hole.
    spring goes on mixture screw then washer then oring.

if you got your kit from ebay you may have the wrong o ring in the kit the ones in the kits from kl are for drain screw

Retromoto likes this.
  4. Retromoto

Retromoto Member

OK, I am going to have to take a better look. Thanks. Also, I am embarrassed to say, part of my starting problems was the fact that I was not seating the choke cable properly. Hence not getting full choke. Starting much better now. After all the adjustments I plan to sync the carbs again this weekend. Thanks again!

Chitwood likes this.
  5. 78dave

78dave New Member

My issue is similar, but when it is cold I use full choke and it starts right up then runs a short while and dies. From that point it is a bear to start. Always seems it want more fuel to stay alive. The throttle does absolutely nothing and stays that way until it catches and starts to run. I always try new strategies for starting but never come up with anything that works. Eventually is starts. This is same whenever it has been sitting regardless of the temperature. Starts but wants more fuel to stay running. Otherwise once started it runs and idles fine. The carbs were cleaned and the idle jets removed and replaced with new orings. I colortuned the synced the carbs. Should I open the idles jets maybe an 1/8 to a 1/4 and try that?

6. 78dave

78dave New Member

Sorry I meant to add 1986 XJ700N