1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Podlems

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Depewboyz, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Depewboyz

Depewboyz New Member

I’ve got pod issues all over the place, not letting the slides move up due to too much air coming in. Would a dyna jet kit come with everything I would need to fix this? Springs, jets and all?

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I pulled this pic off ebay so it is probably not specific to the Maxim-X.
    When I was going through this process for my 750-X there wasn't a kit available then.
    The kit below looks to have 2 options for main jets and 1 for pilot.
    Nice that it includes replacement needles as the crucial 5,000 rpm mark will need this.
    Looks like there are new clips for the needles and a washer to shim it higher if needed.
    The screw and one of the drill bits is to remove the plug above the idle mixture screw.
    The 2nd drill bit is to open the hole in the throttle slide leading to the the diaphragm chamber.
    This larger hole will quicken the response of the slides, also crucial as I believe eliminating the airbox slows this response.
    I'm not certain what the pin is to the top right. It also looks like they included some type of glue I don't know why, perhaps to secure the needle shims??
    There is no spring so typically they will instruct to clip 1/2 a coil at a time until you find acceptable results.
    Although this probably does make the resulting spring slightly stiffer, it lessens spring preload which results in less force holding the slide down.
    This is not ideal, a replacement spring with a softer rate is better. If you have an exhaust gas analyzer hooked up during this process you can determine if it is incorrect jetting or incorrect spring rate. Without the gas analyzer you are guessing and likely driving yourself mad.

As I've stated before, the airbox does provide some restriction to flow which by design provides ideal pressures which provides positive engagement between your wrist and the throttle slides, consider this like a vacuum assist. Altering the corresponding pressures weakens this connection to your wrist.
    A stage 3 modification will never behave as nice as the OEM set up, that is why you should find the airbox.

s-l1600.jpg

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Great title to this thread.............

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

clean the slides with gun cleaning fluid and make shre the slide bore is clean too. the slides will move up and down with out the air box in place.

do the clunk test for the slides

5. Depewboyz

Depewboyz New Member

They moved no prob, I took the springs out to test if they were too stiff and I was able to get to 8k RPMS no prob. Looks like they just needed cutting and jet replacements

6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Brilliant thinking!

7. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

Love that term "Podlems"