1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1100 to the maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joe elliff, Nov 4, 2018.

1. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

so. I posted that I bought a one owner 2300 mile 1100 maxim.

Well. Motor is seized. I know I will have to pull the motor and head as I snapped a plug and left half inside. Haha. Oops.

My question is this. Beyond the obvious of using atf/acetone as well as diesel for soaking , what other options do I have for freeing this motor up?

If I can free the motor I’ll go forward with repairing it. I want to try every avenue possible before I say she only ran 2300 miles for her entire life and is only a parts donor

Thanks, joe

Attached Files:

XJ750DB and Franz like this.
  2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    When you get the head off you may find something stuck as opposed to seized. Example being something such as stuck between gears. Here is hoping for something simple. A tiny bit in the wrong place can be as firm as being seized. Good luck.

3. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Wouldn't get my hopes up with a plug looking that rusty.
    Did you drain the crankcase yet? Notice I didn't say oil, because you'll probably get more than that coming out.

Because of the low miles, I'd do my best to revive the engine with a piston/cylinder and head rebuild.
    You may want to also look into an upgrade to the trans, as they are notorious for popping out of 2nd gear.

Has some interesting upgrades that I haven't seen on one of those, especially the shifter/brake and floorboard combo.

Tony

k-moe likes this.
  4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

About 3oz of diesel and kerosene mix and put in 2nd gear and rock bike back and forth twice a day for about a week and see if she breaks loose. Did that with my 72 XS650 and it worked, now just carbs and clean tank and she will be ready to ride in the spring.

Attached Files:

Franz and joe elliff like this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That plug was wet for a while. I'd be concerned that it was in a flood, and proceed as such until I found out otherwise.
    Look for rust holes in the lower frame, and other signs of it having been submerged.

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Joe and I have been texting back and forth , forgot to add Coke a Cola is another great rust dissolver (wonder what it does to your stomach lol) pour it down spark plug hole and let it sit for an hour . Had a shop teacher do this for a seized engine ...it worked ! Another time we used the diesel/ATF thing on another engine . I learned so much in vocational auto 3 hours a day was a 2 year program , I was headed to a career in the automotive field, when my dad took me to see the aviation school. I have been a licensed A&P mechanic since 1987 still love aviation miss twisting a wrench but went into management and love my job .

Bilfknmury likes this.
  7. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

As the story is told to me!!! We all know those words and have heard them before.

Previous owner bought this new in 6-82,
    Added a trailer harness and cb radio and ride it very gently for a cpl years. Then comes 84-85 and he bought a Harley. It sat essentially since then not being ridden but a couple times.
    2010 rolls around and he decides to get it going again and there is evidence he tried to yet he had no luck. He then proceeded to load it into a small motorcycle trailer where it has sat since Outside. In the weather. It could’ve been a bit before that but the trailer tags said 2010 and seller says that’s where it’s been. So. No to the flood but yes to Mother Nature being cruel for 9 years at a minimum outside and ridden a handful of times in 35 years beforehand

Positives to note. It does roll free and move different gears, the clutch actually engages and disengages still, the floorboards and engine guards appear to be specific to the bike and not one off fabrication( meaning they look right and not cobbled), 2010 he had the tank professionally cleaned inside so it’s still very nice( a cpl small scratches but dent free outside as well) it also has xs1100 bagsand mounts but not the surrounding chrome bits,

Attached Files:

8. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Drained the crankcase. No water. Just oil. Probably a quart and a half to 2 quarts. But. No water

9. Bilfknmury

Bilfknmury New Member

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm an A&P as well. What did you work on?

10. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

No wor
    No worries but it’d be easier to just send him a private message

11. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Pulled carbs off. Looking at #4 I am now convinced this is just a parts bike. Years upon years of sitting outside with condensation and rain going into airbox and working it’s way into the cylinders I believe it’s beyond repair

I will still pull the head just for fun now. I’m interested to see how bad it is.

12. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

YS-11, DC-9/DC10/MD80/727/757-200-300/747 100-200-400/ 319/320/330 , CONVAIR 580 , EMB 135-140-145/EMB 170-175-190 .

13. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Believe it or not, if the bottom end has no water, rusty cylinders and rings are no big deal.
    Fact: Trumph motorcycles had cylinders honed smooth, then were left outdoors to let the cylinder liners to rust.
    Gasket surfaces were refinished and New pistons and rings were installed. (Yes at the factory)
    When the engine was started, the rust would break in the rings and cylinder almost instantly... Good to go.
    I would soak it down with fogging oil (it dissolves rust) thru the plug hole and rock it in gear like Toomanybikes said.
    Good luck!

14. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

As for the plug bits, you can hopefully turn said cylinder to valve overlap without jamming and use compressed air thru the intake and blow the bits out the exhaust.
    Double check with a bore scope it's clean.
    May not have to pull the head.