1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel level sensor wires?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by turpentyne, Nov 27, 2018.

1. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

I've been 'avoiding' looking closely at a couple things. One is the wiring from the gas tank fuel level sensor, I'm assuming.

But, I'm about to de-rust the tank, and I figured I'd better tackle that too.

Here are a couple pics. the PO had a yellow wire segment where a green wire used to be, it appears. and There's another one with a connector that I assume goes to the tank tab there.

Anything I should be aware of, in putting this back the way it should be? ... I mean, aside from properly soldering unlike the past owner. :) What is that, 18 gauge wire? Like I said, I just haven't looked at that stuff closely yet. This had a new petcock on it, and I'm replacing it with the original vacuum-style.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Yup, nothing a little solder and some heat shrink can't fix. The blue connector is not factory but will be fine if crimped well and not corroded. I prefer soldering those connections too (wire to the spade connector). My guess is a PO thought the wires were too short in the past when he removed the tank (that sender has definitely been removed!) and extended them or just cut the wires. Hard to tell from pic but 18ga would be plenty sufficient for this application.

3. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

yeah... Maybe in a future project, I'll take that sender out and put a proper cork gasket in. Whatever they used doesn't inspire confidence.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Yuck. We have the correct gasket if you decide to re-use the sender. 18g wire will be just fine (we have that, too!). And we even have a block-off plate that can be installed in place of the sender if you aren't going to be needing the sender.....

5. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Agree to everyone, simple fix :)
    Aside from solder n heat shrink, marine grade heat shrink butt conectors work great. Just be sure you buy the expensive ones with actual glue in them. $1-2 each Also the female spade is available in the same and has a plastic shield around the connector end.
    Note: be careful not to puncture the coating when crimping or they split open when heated.
    Just giving options :)