1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

CARB REINSTALL

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by britcan, Nov 9, 2008.

1. britcan

britcan New Member

WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET THE CARBS BACK XJ750 1984

TRIED IT MANY DIFFERENT WAYS GETTING FRUSTRATED PLEASE HELP

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

You are not the only one having that problem. The manifolds are hard rubber and if they are old like most of ours its a pain to get back in. Here is a helpful hint for you. I take some light grease and lube the insides of the manifolds. I also have the bike up on the centerstand with the front wheel up against the garage wall. (so you don't push the bike forward and tip it over) Start the carbs in on the right side and work them up and down until they pop in place. If you can get one of your friends over to help you push them in. A person on each side of the bike can make the job alittle easier. Good luck.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Go to the hardware store and buy a Hardwood Hammer Handle for a 20oz. Framing Hammer.

Just the Handle.
    Cut the top part that's notched for insertion into the Hammer Head right off the Handle.
    Sand that end to remove any sharp edges.

There's your new Carb Installing Tool.
    Use it to PRY the Carbs back into the Manifolds.
    The wood won't scratch or mar anything and it will come in handy for a whole host of other jobs that require persuasion or Impact.

4. Big_Ross

Big_Ross Member

You can buy special grease for rubber (I think it's silicone). I bought a tube of it years ago; still haven't used it all, but it makes this kind of job much easier. (Fitting the carb to an XT500 without damage would be impossible without it, in my opinion.)

5. moonfriedpotatoes

moonfriedpotatoes Member

a buddy works best for me, i can never figure out what to leverage a hammer handle against to do it solo. just pop one side of the carbs in, have buddy hold that side in while you push and curse and sweet talk the other side in . takes about 7 minutes.

gluck

6. bill

bill Active Member

A little lube on the manifold, a hammer handle and a few of my favorite swear words usually does the job.

A buddy does help - had help last week and it was easier, plus he can teach you some new words.

7. mozark

mozark Member

Sprayed silicone into intake boots, spread around with finger and sprayed ends of carbs, slipped right in with no prying. Now the boots to the airbox are another story. I usually pop them back into to then air box before removing the carbs, but then they are a real booger to pop back out and get on the carbs. Anyone one found a better way.

8. RickCoMatic

Wrap them in a real moist towel.
    Microwave them for 45-seconds
    Use 400 and Sand the Box Holes SMOOTH
    Add a smear of Synthetic Grease to the Boot's locking Channel.
    DULL the Tip of an old screwdriver to prod and pry without damage.
    Do the inside ones first
    Finish with the outboard ones last.
    Apologize to the family and neighbors for the language and tirade after you are done.

9. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

I used the silicone trick and the carbs go into the engine boots EASILY.

The air box boots are difficult.
    I figured a way to do to air box boots in about 1 minute each.
    I need someone to video tape me doing it before I forget, ha ha.

In text form:

Take the airbox boots OUT before you try to install the carbs.
    After carbs are in the engine boots then put in the airbox boots.
    Completely clean the airbox boots with Armorall. This makes them slippery to go back into the air box.

Start with the airbox boot below the carbs.
    Tilt the boot at a 45 degree angle so that the boot contacts the carb and not the air box.
    Slip the lip of the bottom boot against the carb bottom keeping the 45 degree angle.
    Push up on the back of the boot so the you lift the boot into the airbox.
    The boot will "pop" into place.
    The "lifting" requires a LOT of muscle but after you do two it becomes very quick and easy.

10. bill

bill Active Member

I'll add that based on Rick's dull screwdriver trick I have a dull pick the is at 90 degrees from the handle. Works great to get the boots seated onto the carbs

11. moonfriedpotatoes

moonfriedpotatoes Member

slightly off topic, but related: my bike is an 81 xj650 frame + carbs w. a 750 motor installed.
    I put the carbs back in the intake manifold boots, and all was well.
    However, when I tried to get the airbox boots fully seated (boot end flush w. stop ridge on carb), I seem to have a 1/4" to 1/2" to go on the underside of the carb.

any suggestions? the 650 airbox boots are LONGER than the 750 boots, so there should be no problem. I'm not trying to spend $50 on 4 pieces of vulcanized rubber.

is there a way i can muscle them on there better?

12. bill

bill Active Member

My carbs go in at a slight angle. That is rear part is higher. When I tighten the inside boots I use upward pressure on the carbs to ensure the boots are seating properly.

13. kd5uzz

kd5uzz Member

My airbox is a little malformed, causing my boots to be a PITA to seat correctly, similar issue?

14. RickCoMatic

There should be that much play in the Mounting Bracket.
    Loosen the whole Box.
    Slide the whole thing forward.

15. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

In Internet terms, this is an ancient thread -- but I just had to share my favorite discovery of the weekend, for any who stumble across this thread.
    Imagine: Thanksgiving weekend. Got no friends free to help, and no good walls to push your bike against to get the carbs into the boots on the engine side?

Your answer is "Ratchet strap"!

You don't need a heavy duty one, and you're not cinching down a lot, so it's safe. Lube up the carb-to-manifold intake boots with a little silicone grease. Wrap the strap around the frame and across the air intake side mouths. Straddle the bike, cinch it down slowly with one hand and guide the carbs into place with the other. Might take a few minutes getting everything just how you want but, before you know it...

Pop! Everything will go into place. Like frickin' magic!

Of course, you still gotta battle the air intake side, but hey! This will save you half the hassle!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Stumplifter likes this.
  16. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I install the carb on the engine intake boots first and tighten the screws. Then I loosen the bolts on the airbox and slide it to the
    back of the bike as far as it will go. Then I boil the airbox boots to soften them. I install #2 boot first, spraying the flange that goes into the airbox
    with soapy water. Then #3, #4 and #1. They all pop into place easily when they are soft. Also wiggling the air box helps. Lastly rebolt the airbox.
    I struggled with removing an reinstalling carbs at first but when I use the above method It takes 10 minutes to pull them out and around twenty minutes to put them back

17. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

If you use soapy water, straddle the bike facing the rear, grab #1 and #4, line the carbs up with the holes in the engine boots and give a Quick pull.
    the carbs will pop into place easily. +