1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tunable baffles

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by LarryMc, Oct 21, 2018.

1. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

For anyone running reverse cone shorty 17" mufflers there is a fairly new baffle set up available for these mufflers. My baffles were on thier way out the door and I saw these and decided to try them.
    They are made by EMGO for EMGO mufflers .
    I like the improved design and the price is reasonable at $20 each.
    I lightly packed mine with stainless steel wool and removed two of the three tuning bolts. I like mellow sound the mufflers produce now but I'm still on the tail end of my latest modification and haven't got a chance to ride it as of yet.

Does anyone else have any experience with these?

Screenshot_20181021-202107_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20181021-202127_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20181021-202147_eBay.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Those are quite cool. Have never seen those.

3. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

The "tunable" feature of these baffles is that you can remove or leave in the hex bolts to adjust for desired back pressure.
    I'm experimenting to see what yields the best runability results. I plan on resyncing the carbs, color tuning while also monitoring each cylinders running temperature.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i've used several supertrap mufflers and found that you can tune in a little richness by adding back pressure.
    back pressure seems to affect the main jet range way more than others.
    less back pressure = more sound
    too much back pressure makes for a quiet slow bike
    my Uni foam air filter wasn't going to cut it until i put the supertrap on
    if you can't tune the goesintas you have to tune the goesoutas

5. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Funny, I just posted this muffler on another thread... didn't see this first.

Let us know how this finishes up as this is my current plan when I finally get fed up enough with my current mufflers...

6. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

After finally getting a few rides in with these baffles installed, I'm happy with the results they offer over the standard baffles that are included with the 17" reverse cone mufflers.
    The baffles are simple in design compared to Supertrapp mufflers but do the trick. The tunanility of them is limited which worked fine for me.
    They are loads better in how they are made and will last for probably twice as long as the standard baffles
    Until last week I had only heard them while my bike was stationary in the garage. While riding, through the throttle ranges, they are a lot more civilized sounding and not ar all obnoxious. The bike seems to run great with them how I have them set up.
    The price is killer at $20 each. You couldn't make them yourself any cheaper factoring in materials along with the time spent putting them together.

I'd give them 4 stars on a 5 stars rating scale. The limited tunability factor is the only real caveat they have but the price and heavier duty design can't be beat.

k-moe likes this.