1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

17" wheels, aluminum swingarm with monoshock upgrade

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by LarryMc, Jul 19, 2018.

1. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

20181122_145620.jpg
    Shortened up the kickstand by 1 1/2 inches. 20181122_145614.jpg
    New spring holder with no switch contact tab.
    These will be reinstalled tomorrow with new tension springs.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

since i don't use the sidestand switch either , i put minimal thought into a rubber curb feeler type thing (remember curb feelers?) that would drag the pavement and flip the stand up. didn't some Hondas have that back in the day?

3. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I haven't bailed on this project, hit a roadblock or decided to give up on it. Simply put, I'm being stretched in three directions during my "off time" having three daughters with two of them in rival colleges and one in her last trimester of her third pregnancy. There was a time a few years ago when I didn't see them a lot and actually missed them. I was confused.
    I'll be putting this project behind me soon, I hope. Well see.

4. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

A buddy of mine has had a sand blasting cabinet sitting in his shop doing nothing for some time now. He mentioned how he'd like to convert it into a vapor blasting setup. I can take a hint so I have been putting together a set up for him. I built a wet blasting cabinet for work several years ago but on a larger scale. This will be more of a hobbyists version but perfect for small stuff, namely carbs.
    My extra rack of carbs will be the test subject in getting it up and running. While I'm at it I figured I'd replace the shaft seals, emulsion tubes, enrichment plungers and springs, mixing screws and springs, diaphrams and give them a tune up with complete kits and new jets. The external hardware will also be changed out for black oxide hex button head type fasteners. I've been slowly stock piling parts for a while waiting for an opportunity like this.
    After they have been blasted, the carb pieces will be ultrasonicly cleaned for a complete cleansing before reassemble.
    In theory, they should be as close to new carbs as one could get. This little endeavour will lengthen my project time frame but will be beneficial in the long run.
    My current carbs are in fair condition being that the PO did some irreparable damage to them while messing with them. It's been time to address this issue for a while now. I'm so done with nursing these turds along and giving them extra attention. Good riddance. This is a welcome diversion with added benefits.

I'll post some pictures of my little side venture of this project.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Ever so slightly vearing off the thread topic:
    The set of carbs I'm working on are your typical Mikunis from someone's pride and joy that they never rode. They claim that the carbs have less than 10000 kilometers or about 6200 miles on them. I bought them off the Canadian version of Craigslist called Kiijii for $100.00 USD.
    The rack looks as though it not been messed with too much. Your typical carb overhaul kit is about all these have recieved. With the Welch plugs still in tact and I'm sure the rack has never been apart. The mounting screws are not scarred up in the JIS cross slots.
    Internally they are good, the bowl bleed screws show signs of being operated. The PO claims the carbs were drained while the bike sat. I'm believing him.
    This is one of the carbs prior to tomorrows cleaning gauntlet.
    20181206_125018.jpg 20181206_125010.jpg 20181206_124957.jpg 20181206_124948.jpg
    I've seen much worse.....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Here's the same carb after vapor blasting, a soak in an aerated boiling hot Pinesol solution and ultrasonic cleaning in white vinegar and water. Spent a half hour blasting each carb after it was stripped. The soak time was a couple hours and the ultrasonic time was about an hour.
    After rinsing, the carb is protected with VHT matte clear.
    All the carbs and bowls look just like this one.
    I'm waiting on parts and new hardware to complete the rack assembly. When I get it fully assembled I'll post an image.
    20181208_171020.jpg 20181208_171235.jpg 20181208_171315.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Franz, k-moe and Simmy like this.
  7. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Check out this nice rack..... 20181216_131811.jpg

20181216_131753.jpg 20181216_131739.jpg 20181216_131718.jpg
    of carbs.

Franz likes this.
  8. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

....and those brass nipples are really shiny too!

Tony

9. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Uhhmm, thank you. I think?

10. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Just running with the "Nice Rack" description.

Really like the black hex screws. Did you get them from Len @ XJ4ever.com?

Tony

11. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Gotcha....
    Yes, Len is the "hook up" for new carb hardware fasteners and carb parts. He has several fastener head styles available, everything is individually packaged and labeled and the price and shipping is great.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  12. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

99% done...... 20181225_151451.jpg 20181225_151701.jpg
    20181225_151527.jpg
    Test ride sometime before the end of the year.....

raskal likes this.
  13. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

So I actually rode it today.

My first impression riding the modified bike:

■ I'll have to become acquainted with the way the bike is now. Nothing feels the way it did before, it's very different feeling, in that, its improved.
    The bumps, divots and cracks in the road that I would either avoid or brace myself for are soaked up effortlessly with the new suspension setup. They aren't a concern as they were before because the bike feels very planted to the asphalt. It seems as though I got lucky and the preload is at the correctly adjusted setting. I'll definitely play with that later.

■ The front and rear suspension are off different make or brand 600-650 newer series bikes but seem to play well with each other. There isn't any peculiar feedback or bottoming when the suspension cycles within its operating range. My wife went for a brief ride around the block with me and it handles as it should two-up.

■ Going into and out of turns and around corners was a bit nerve wracking at first. With the smaller and wider tires the bike seems to bite and cut aggressively negotiating curves. I wasn't expecting this and worked on becoming accustomed to the new riding characteristics of the bike initially. Its supposed attack the twisties, it has sportbike suspension. Duh? After a dozen or so turns under acceleration and after adjusting the steering damper, its all good. I like it.

■ The bike tracks like it should. If I take my hands off the bars they remain in that position unless I lean. Then it gradually follows. Radial tires are a upgrade I should have done long ago and obviously add to the ride improvement.

■ I overlooked the fact of having better brake calipers being overwhelmed with the bikes improved handling until the end of my ride. The brakes work very well when lightly applying them or when dynamiting them from a higher speed stop. The suspension and brakes work well with one another. I'm happy with this combo, definitely.

■ Acceleration of the bike is different, in that, the bike seems to honch down slightly and get with it when mashing the throttle. It's no faster than before, it just seems like it is but it is more enjoyable to ride, without a doubt. The smaller circumference of the tires has changed the shift points and I found that it seems like I'm doing a lot more gear changing then before. The modified shifter pawl with the bearing installed makes nice solid shifts, each time with no hiccups.

■ The way the bike looks now has finally grown on me. Initially, I was unhappy with it compared to before. As the build came together, adjustments were made and the look improved. It's a definite change.

In summary, the bike is very well behaved and improved now. Its solid and smooth feeling while controlling it plus it doesn't leave you worn out feeling after a ride.

There was always a lingering hint of doubt that I was ruining a perfectly good bike but not the case here. I cut no corners with no sketchy workmanship

I wouldn't change a thing.
    No regrets.
    Over & out....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    k-moe likes this.
  14. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

15. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Regarding the carb work I did:

Going through the carbs as completely as I could has provided great results. I've probably pulled the carbs for one reason or another more times than I want to admit. Removing and reinstalling them is not the pain in the ass it used to be. I've got this down, for sure.
    This last time diving in, I had stockpiled pretty much new everything on parts that could be acquired for over a year.
    After ultra-cleaning the snot out of the disassembled rack and reassembling everything the bike starts without the choke and hits a steady idle after a couple minutes of warm up. Honestly, its still a cold blooded little bitch at first but aren't we all when we get past 35 years old.
    Syncing and color tuning were done in record time. It took longer to hook up everything than to do the needed adjustments.
    Finally.
    No hunting or high idle at stoplights.
    The modifications I did to the bike mean very little to me compared to how happy I am with how it runs now.
    WinX2....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    k-moe likes this.
  16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The only tell that Yamaha didn't build it that way is the frame tube diameter (later bikes having larger diameter tubes). Excellent work.

LarryMc likes this.
  17. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

As requested, I sent pictures of the finished bike to Chilly Hill from Hull, England (go back to the beginning of this thread) who's bike was a huge inspiration and visual reference for my project.
    He liked what he saw and gave it thumbs up.
    Cheerio and thanks mate.

received_1937197676337084.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    jayrodoh likes this.
  18. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I'm putting this thread to rest being the titled modification has been completed within my capabilities.
    I appreciate all the feedback everyone contributed to make this thread possible.
    I received many PMs with questions, suggestions and advice. I guess some people would rather keep their conversations on the down low. I completely respect that. So thanks.
    Putting a build thread together and attempting to make it somewhat interesting can be a bit of a task so thanks for hanging in there when things slowed down.
    We've all seen builds or projects that are started and documented with good intentions of completing the chosen modification or tweak then they go dark.
    Everyone is left hanging....
    and hanging....

This mod is officially done.

Time to ride for another season or until I get some wild idea stuck in my head.

Later.....