1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gear Shift Lever Too Stiff 83 XJ650 Turbo

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by CrossK, Jan 9, 2019.

1. CrossK

CrossK New Member

Hey guys I ran into something that’s got me stumped at the moment. I’ve got an (I believe) 83 XJ650 Turbo and the gear shift is impossible to move with my foot when on the bike. I ended up taking off the housing/cover where the gear shift knob comes out and tried reinstalling the lever. Whenever the cover is off the bike shifts just as it should with little effort, with the cover on and tight (not over tightened) it’s too stiff to move with my foot I have to physically pull it with my hand. If anyone wants to see I took a couple videos I could email out.
    Thanks!

2. 1965soda

1965soda Member

First...welcome and congrats on the Seca Turbo.

Second....regarding the shift lever. It sounds like the lever (or something in the linkage) could be binding. There is a threaded adjuster as part of the linkage....is that overly tight and/or have you tried adjusting it to see if it improves movement of the shift lever? Also, does the lever move easily when the arm is removed from the shift shaft that enters the case? Lastly, it sounds like the shift shaft moves easily when the lever is not attached, correct? Is there side play in the shaft when the lever/linkage is removed?

There are other members way more knowledgeable that will likely have some questions/suggestions too. Just thought I would start with a few easy ones. :)

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The Turbo tranny is bulletproof however it's not Fool proof and somewhere, sometime a fool dropped it or used a hammer to "loosen" maybe a bent shifter and has bent the shift shaft. I think your engine needs to be split to replace.

Foolish actions sometimes have dire consequences. You MIGHT be able to, using a straight edge, find which direction it's bent and might possible "bend back" enough for the shaft to spin in the seal so you can shift but it's a long shot and you could cause other damage....so be very careful and don't even attempt if you aren't sure.

I just did this repair on Kerry's GS450 after her son bent the shaft....he knows better now<LOL> but it was bound so tight I was initially worried that a shift fork had broken
    jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  4. CrossK

CrossK New Member

I messaged you guys. I’m pretty sure I don’t have a linkage so I can rule that out pretty quickly. It does seem as if the shaft is bent at first but upon actual inspection it seems straight as an arrow.

5. 1965soda

1965soda Member

I did not see a message but....thought a parts diagram may help (see attached). There are quite a few parts involved and what appears (to me) to be many places where parts could bind (should things not be adjusted correctly, should surfaces get corroded, or as JeffK mentioned....should something get bent/tweaked).

Also, did this issue come on suddenly? After some work was done to the bike? Gradually getting worse?

As mentioned, there are much more knowledgeable people on this forum than I but wanted to ask some more questions in case it may help them...help diagnose. Shift lever parts fiche.jpg

6. CrossK

CrossK New Member

Hm, check again I resent the message.

This looks different than mine, maybe it’s not a turbo? That’s what the engine has listed on it and what it was advertised as when purchased. May just be a maxim. I know for sure the gram is a maxim frame but I thought the engine was a Seca Turbo.

I got the bike from a friend with very little information on it and I’m slowly working on it to get it running smoothly.

*Nevermind, mine just doesn’t have the linkage, once I realized that it looks the same.*

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

look at the spacers on#5 and how the teeth line up with the others.
    look on the cover for marks where it might be tight.
    i did that once and the shaft on #5 was out too far, it bound up when ths cover was tightened down

Franz likes this.
  8. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Hi again CrossK. If your shifter mechanism does not look close to what I posted above (keeping in mind that many of those parts are inside the cover)....does it look like this?

Shift lever parts fiche (1).jpg

If so, it is probably not a turbo model. Also, if it looks like the recent parts fiche, that means the trouble is inside the cover. I would see if something is binding against the inside of the oil seal (#11) or against the inside of the cover (not pictured). I am wondering if something was put back together in the wrong order.....?

Hope that helps!

EDIT - Just saw Polock posted....looks like we may be thinking alike and....he knows his stuff.

9. CrossK

CrossK New Member

If anything there aren’t enough washers on #5. When it’s pushed in all the way the forks don’t align very well. I’ve added washers but that didn’t help. I’ll try to take all of the washers off and see what happens.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

all the parts except the shift lever are still active parts if you want to replace them
    83650max shift part.PNG

11. CrossK

CrossK New Member

I’m gonna start with replacing the shift shaft and cover and see what that does. I’m thinking the previous owner may have dropped the bike and it bent the shaft.