1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1980 XJ650 restoration worth it?

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Jmkrull, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

its getting close to the time to put the bike away. I was just wondering though if it's worth doing a restore over the winter or just leave the bike as is based on age and rust issues. The bike runs fine. The thing is, there is rust everywhere. It doesn't seem terrible, but it would involve a lot of pulling parts, sanding and all that. The frame down by the pegs is fairly rusty too. I feel like I'd have to strip it down to the frame and completely repaint or coat the frame. Anyway, seems time consuming and I have never stripped a bike down and put it all back together. Wondering if it would be worth it and how easy it is. Has anyone done this and do you have a step-by-step? Thanks.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

As with many things, wht it's worth is a matter of opinion and goals.
    You have a Maxim, so the economic benefit is slight. The bike won't be worth a lot more than it is now; at least in the shotr-term.
    How long do you plan on keeping it? A full resoration will suck funds, but will also leave you with a machine that's ready for another 30 or 40 years of service.
    How much of a restoraion do you want? If you're only concerned with the frame rust, then you can treat that with a rust-converter, and a quick application of black paint, without dissasembling the whole machine.

Do a good inspection of the frame around the kickstand. IF the frame is as rusty as you imply, you might have some repairs to do.

3. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

Well, it's not so much for the economic upside. The bike was my uncle's, so I guess it's more of an intrinsic thing than anything. I'll keep it until it dies, I guess.

I guess I'm not planning on dumping a ton into it, but moreso just cleaning it up, painting it and all that. No welding and cutting up the frame or anything like that. Just moreso wondering if a bike that old it'd be worth the time.

Right around the center stand is where the rust is the worst. It doesn't look like it's rusted through, but it would definitely involve some heavy sanding and prep before it'd be painted.

Is it hard to pull things off and get the engine off or is it fairly straight forward? I think that'd be my only hang-up

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I finished a 2 year resto of a 82 Maxim 650 last summer. I spent way more than the bike will be worth in the near future but I really like the bike and wanted to have something good looking and reliable. I haven't needed to do anything to it other than change the oil and add gas since then and it gets ridden almost daily. I had the rust issue that k-moe points out, if you look through my resto thread (link in signature) you'll see the areas clearly.

Sanding/wire brushing motorcycle frames suck. I was able to get it all blasted for about $100. Way worth it when you consider your time.

wgul likes this.
  5. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

That's exactly what I'm looking to do. Your bike looks super nice!

Ok, I'll chip away at it this winter. Shouldn't be too bad and there are quite a few places to sandblast and powder coat here.

Did you soda blast your engine or just wipe it down/polish?

6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Just simple green and stiff brush to clean, then paint. The covers got hit with stripper and a buffing wheel.

7. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Sounds like the bike means something to you and you're comfortable doing the work. Think of this as a hobby and a link to fond memories. Whether working on it or riding it, you'll likely enjoy it.

8. StahlMaster

StahlMaster Active Member

I bought my 1982 XJ650J Maxim in 1985 for $1,400 with 7,000 miles on it. I was my first bike. From 1985 to 1994 I put on 14,000 miles. From 1994 to 2001 the bike sat in a shed. I pulled it out and restored it at a cost of about $600.00 and 2 months time including spare parts I did not use. I rode the bike from 2001 till 2012 and put on another 14,000 miles. From 2012 till 2018 it sat but was run a few miles every year to keep things fresh. I'm "refreshining" it now which involves a lot of cleaning and rebuilding the MC and Caliper, cleaning the carbs, new fork seals, new front brake switch and whatever else comes up. I've spent more money on this bike then it will ever be worth but I'll never sell it. I've had a few bikes that have come and gone but this first one is a keeper. Bought it at age 22 and I'm now 56.

9. ZeroSheet

ZeroSheet New Member

It is great to hear your story, I bought the same year same model with a little over 18k on it last year right before winter. I am glad to hear the bike can take some miles as I have been dumping money into it all winter because I just fell in love with the bike the second I sat on it. I don't ever plan on selling it and I was also wondering if I should do a restoration on it. I probably will now, at least give her some much deserved love.