1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

a simple? question from a new owner -

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by nablats, Apr 17, 2018.

1. nablats

nablats Member

can the airbox be remved / replaced with the engine in situ? I couldn't take mine out (1980 xj650) until I got the motor out

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes it requires you to remove carbs and starter then the front motor mounts so the motor can tilt forwardss save the box you may need it later

a little heat where it is tight will soften the box enough to squeeze out

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Thanks 550, mine is on it's way out shortly.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Remove the battery box along with the carbs and starter, then you don't need to mess with the engine mounting bolts.

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Why do you want to remove the Airbox? Oh suppose you want to put on PODS and all the headaches of figuring out jetting and assorted issues . Do you know several years ago some race teams when the bikes had carbs they found bikes with pods were actually slower than bikes that had airbox's this was done in cycle world . A well running bike with the stock set up can run horrible when you start making changes and it is not a small block Chevy where putting an open element filter makes it perform better. These bikes have CV carbs and these do not like velocity changes ... if these were flat slide carbs then pods would be ok just wanted to point out a few things and do not get caught in the rain these can suck up water quick.

6. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

I would like to buy tickets to the musical rain rain go away !!!

7. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Nearly all my minis have su (CV)carbs, and K&N air filters. Ok, they only have a needle and spring to modify, but there are literally hundreds of needles to choose from (and get wrong).
    I understand advising a newby not to, but it can be done. My 750 runs fine on them, and doesn't suck up water when it rains. I guess one issue is once you move away from std it's anyones guess what settings are needed, and one persons needle and main jets might be a long way off for someone with say, a 4 into 1 straight through can.
    I am a little tempted to make up an ally airbox with a k&n flat filter just to see how that works, and it should polish up nicely.

8. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

The airbox went out with a bit of a kick of my boot, but let me say that today I tried Hogfiddles’ heat gun technique (I believe it was he) and it worked beautifully putting it back on. Using the gun I folded the box portion by heating the corners evenly and squeezed it in, then tucked it in easily and unfolded it again with heat. Air filter and lid fit perfectly! And that was with the carb boots all on, and the starter not removed. I was planning to cut the air box off the assembly and gorilla glue & jbweld it back together again. Thank God I tried heat. Pass it on, no need to remove motor mounts or anything so extreme :)

Jetfixer likes this.