1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Question for ultrasonic cleaner owners.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by lostboy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

What is the best cleaning product to use in an ultrasonic cleaner.

2. StahlMaster

StahlMaster Active Member

I have 2 ultrasonic cleaners, one heated one not. I've tried several types of "cleaners". If I am cleaning jewelry I use WINDEX. For everything else, plain water.

3. lostboy

Tap water or distilled?

4. StahlMaster

StahlMaster Active Member

Tap water is fine.

5. 50gary

50gary Active Member

For most stuff I use 50% water and 50% simple green. It work very well for my purposes. I have a L&R "wave" machine the wave is to eliminate dead or hot spots in the unit. Mine is 13 quart capacity. The best money you can spend for carburetors IMO.
    Cheers, 50gary

6. lostboy

The best results so far is 50-50 water and Simple Green. 20190117_201650.jpg
    Dirty carbs be dammed

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Depending on what you want to clean. Jets that are brass, I use 100% lemon juice. For carb bodies that have been striped and no rubber, carb dip in the gal can. It will discolor the bodies a little but you can rinse them in water and the color should come back to normal.

Some use Super Clean, but be warned, that stuff if left set on carb bodies in my exsperiance can really pit them. What ever is cleaned metal with super clean should be rinsed very well and then maybe add a little spray oil of some type back to the item you cleaned.

B12 chem tool will work too but what what it comes in contact with. The little plastic sided cleaners the lids will discolor and any other plastic the B12 comes in contact with.

Simple green is great, so I agree with the above post as well. Just keep an eye on what ever you are cleaning and you will have to see what works best for you.

Tim

lostboy likes this.
  8. cg82

cg82 Member

vinegar/water mixture worked unreal on the last set of carbs I cleaned

Andyam5 likes this.
  9. Richard Elbon

Richard Elbon Active Member

Vinegar and water work great,so does simple green water 50-50 mix. You’d be surprised to see how clean they are after a few days of soaking in a bucket. Ultra sonic may be the latest gimmick but I’ve used soap and water then spray carb cleaner for decades with great results. Give it a try.

10. lupz

lupz New Member

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes that looks like the stuff, non toxic and bio degradable too. Good cleaning that will not "over" clean. Home owners in my area of the mid West use it on their house siding, so safe for the carbs and motorcycle cleaning.

12. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I find this fascinating, "how it works" from Wikipedia.
    "An ultrasound generating transducer built into the chamber, or lowered into the fluid, produces ultrasonic waves in the fluid by changing size in concert with an electrical signal oscillating at ultrasonic frequency. This creates compression waves in the liquid of the tank which 'tear' the liquid apart, leaving behind many millions of microscopic 'voids'/'partial vacuum bubbles' (cavitation). These bubbles collapse with enormous energy; temperatures and pressures on the order of 5,000 K and 135 MPa are achieved;[7][8] however, they are so small that they do no more than clean and remove surface dirt and contaminants. The higher the frequency, the smaller the nodes between the cavitation points, which allows for cleaning of more intricate detail."
    Cheers, 50gary

Beck likes this.
  13. lostboy

Thanks for all the information. This has been very helpful. Keep it going.

14. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

A heated solution of vinegar and deionized water works awesome in the ultrasonic cleaner. The deionized water does make a noticeable difference but it must be heated and kept heated. When DI water is heated and ultrasonic frequencies are introduced there is a reaction that occurs when carbs are dunked in the solution that literally forces any contamination off the metal surface. Regular tap water or distilled water contain too many impurities and natural minerals to allow the reaction to occur.
    Prior to the ultrasonic cleaner, soak the gutted carbs in a hot Pinesol and distilled water solution for at least an hour. I have had excellent results when adding a larger sized aquarium aerator fixture during the soak. The micro bubbles loosen an amazing amount of trapped crud. Then the ultrasonic cleaner can work to it's full potential after this pre-soak.cycle.
    Rinse between and after soaking cycles with tap water. Blast the passages, nooks and crannies with compressed air.

Overkill? Oh hell yes, without a doubt.
    Times recleaning carbs because they weren't done correctly: None,
    Hell yeah....

BEFORE 20181206_124957.jpg
    AFTER 20181208_171248.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Beck likes this.