1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Magnet placement for digital speedometer

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Praxeus, Feb 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

I’m installing my Acewell digital gauge and I’m wondering if anyone who has installed the magnetic pickup on their XJs can suggest the best mounting point. I have heard of people attaching it to the bottom of the front fender and putting the magnet on the edge of the rim, and I have seen the pickup magnet being put in one of the rotor bolt locations also. I was looking at either the old speedo hub or maybe even the caliper housing. Another question is do I need to keep the old drive hub in there (with the circlet tab ring removed) for alignment, or can I just have a gap with a bearing cap? Thanks

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i did the fender/wheel rim a long time ago, i do those acewell's or bicycle ones on all my bikes.
    now for some extra confusion, i think a guy could add some wire and mount the pickup on the swingarm, and still use the wheel rim magnet.
    the inside part of the drive is a spacer, must need it or wouldn't have made this
    [​IMG]

3. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

What is this spacer in the picture? What did you make this out of or was this a Home Depot find? It looks like it snugs up to the hub nice and keeps all the nasty out of the bearing. I may just gut mine of all the gears inside.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

spacer is about a half hour on the lathe

5. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

I think you must be talking about the metal collar holding in the white grommet/bearing cap? I don't have one of those.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i don't remember if i made the metal spacer or not. but i kinda doubt it, that would be asking a lot from the lathe i had at the time.
    more likely i took the one out of the original speedo drive

7. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

And the white rubber thing? How did you make it/where’d you find it? Sorry for all the damned questions haha

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i made the white thing on a mini-lathe, i may have made the black spacer spacer too but i doubt it

9. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Thanks for all your replies. I think I may keep the drive dog on the axle with the circlet ring that engages the drive removed. For some reason I thought it might put drag on the wheel but it just sits on the axle so I'm just being dumb. May I'll even mount the magnetic pickup to the pre-drilled holes on it.

10. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Alright, so I have all my connections working with the Acewell gauge, (it’s a 4553 unit) including stuff that never worked before until I changed out my LH controls, but just as I was heading home (in my truck) I put the seat back on and just decided to chill and play with the mode settings. Neither MODE or RESET do anything at all! I haven’t saudered any connections yet but I’m pretty sure the grounds are okay. The gauge powers up and shows N, oil light until kill switch is turned to on, and signals. Earlier tonight I pressed mode and it cycled though everything. I disconnected the battery and reconnected, and disconnected the red power wire and hooked it back up. Nothing. The buttons depress, but the green remains frozen. The tach needle does it’s little flip back and forth when you turn the key. This was a major splurge to my project and I’m pretty &@%# ticked off. Hopefully it is something simple.

Any ideas why MODE and Reset buttons aren’t doing anything? The internet has been no help thusfar and there is no troubleshooting guide in the manual.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

could be something like mode and reset together for 5 seconds
    or reset alone for 5 seconds

12. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

I did try holding each button for up to ten seconds, alone and together. I contacted some distributors for support but I’m not optimistic about getting any help soon. It’s so weird because I could cycle through the options earlier this evening. I hope I didn’t fry something :eek: