1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

best crankcase seal?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dave C_61, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Dave C_61

Dave C_61 New Member

rebuilding a 1982 XJ650 Seca; preparing to re-assemble the crankcase and getting lost in all the recommendations and opposing bad reviews I've found on various websites... too many manufactures with too many products... maybe I'm over thinking it, but I'd hate to find out 6 months from now that I didn't think about it enough!

One of the lead recommendations is Yamabond... I look it up and I see there is a Yamabond 4, Yamabond 5 and others... both 4 & 5 sound like they might be appropriate but hard to determine which is best for this application from the limited info I can find...

Threebond seems to be another top contender - with too many choices and recommendations... which one is really right? seems like 1194 might be the best, but found some info that suggests that it has been replaced with 1184?... but nothing quite definitive, and no one in my Western Canada neighborhood seems to sell Threebond anyways!

Permatex seems to be the lead brand at my local retailers, and they have a product called Anaerobic Gasket Maker part # 51850 / 51813 that sounds like a readily available alternative....

so... what's the best seal to use??

Cheers!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

All of those will work. Threebond makes Yamabond (and Hondabond, etc.)
    A better choice is Locktite 515, or 518. Both cure anaerobically, so you don't have to worry about set-up time. Just run the bead, and if you have to walk away for a week it won't cure until you join the case halves. It also will mix with oil and not do any harm, so if the bead is too big you don't have to wory about cured goobers breaking off and making toruble inside of the engine.
    The Permatex you mentioned is equivalent to the Locktite.

Franz likes this.
  3. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I have had no success with the Locktite brand but good results with the Yamabond sealant.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I've had no trouble with any Locktite products. Would you mind sharing details about your experiences so we can compare?
    Yamabond is good stuff, I just prefer the anaerobic sealants.

5. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I should not say all Locktite products just the 515 and 518 sealer. I use Locktite thread locker weekly and work with no problems. After splitting the cases to replace the starter clutch I would get an oil leak near the output shaft seal. At this area the flange is very narrow about 3/16 of an inch wide. I cleaned the cases spotless and followed the instructions to the letter. I tried this twice with no luck. The first time with Yamabond no problems. k-more if you want to continue this conversation in a PM let me know. I do not want to hijack this thread.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  6. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Threebond 1194 provided the desired results when applied per manufacturer's recommendations. After undertaking splitting the cases I wanted to use a product that I knew would work for reassembly. I couldn't find it anywhere locally and ordered a tube online. Warming the tube up carefully softens the product and it applies evenly.

7. Dave C_61

Dave C_61 New Member

thanks for the input; going with the Permatex Anaerobic; could only find the Threebond online, at $13 for the product and $15 for shipping I couldn't get excited!

8. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

You should expand your online shopping resources if they are going to charge you shipping at all, let alone, that much.
    Screenshot_20190210-225612_Chrome.jpg
    I just noticed your in Canada which explains the high shipping fee

9. Dave C_61

Dave C_61 New Member

sometimes it sucks to be Canadian, but not usually!

10. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Us Seattlites think Canada rocks!