1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Spring riding

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

We are 1 week from March temps this week will barely hit 30 degrees in Chicago area. Hopefully temps will rise those of us in cold climbs areas can once again pull our beloved XJ's out of hibernation . But when doings so, I always do check list , check air in tires, examine tires for weather cracking front and back. Pump brake lever and check for any leaks , check battery electrolyte level ( I now have an AGM sealed battery) check all the lights turn signal/headlight/tail lights/ brake lights. Check oil level, and any leaks it is always a good idea to change oil and filter after a short period even if you changed before storing bike. Oil will absorb moisture and just might be overkill but just me:D Since it has been late October since I rode last, I try to keep rides around neighbor hood , but try to be careful lots of loose gravel, and Grand Canyon deep potholes and idiot drivers not used to seeing bikes not paying attention. :confused: I know some try to ride year round , but I'm a fairweather rider lol :D

cgutz, 1965soda and XJ750DB like this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'm under a blizzard warning. Spring is still over a month away by the local measure.

3. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

12C/54F here today - sure feels like spring. Gotta get the FZ in fettle first though..

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

as soon as temp stays at 40 for most of the day light I start do not care if the snow banks are still there just the ice patches in the road.

k-moe likes this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have a KLR650 that is my early and late season bike. So much salt and sand on the roads until the first couple of rains wash the roads clean.

kosel likes this.
  6. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I rode 85 miles a bit over a week ago with the 42 degrees we had. Yup xj550h. Just watch for the water runoff on the roads! 40 is always my cutoff temp for riding. I could go colder but I’d rather not tip over hitting a patch of ice created by the crazy Illinois winds

XJ750DB, Jetfixer and XJ550H like this.
  7. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Like you I have my daily rider which I use early and late season as well as for most of my riding. Big ole sport touring concours 1000

Timbox likes this.
  8. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

70 degrees here tomorrow... but my arm is in a sling from shoulder surgery. No ride for me :mad:

Jetfixer likes this.
  9. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Just heard weather report looks like next 2 weeks temps in 20's for high worse over night more snow possible. Winds today gusting to 50 miles an hour. My garage is not heated and I started to insulate but not finished, the attic is open so needless to say at these low temps not real pleasant to work in .:(

Chitwood likes this.
  10. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

My first ride of the spring is often a group ride sponsored by a local shop. If there's a breakdown, they'll send their trailer for you free of charge. I did the same thing for a shakedown run after I got my 650 Seca put back together.

Crankwalk likes this.
  11. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

Our roads won't be clear until late April and even then with gravel on them until early May. On the plus side I have plenty of time to keep doing work in the HEATED garage. ;)

Attached Files:

12. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Spring, what is this "spring" of which you speak...today it is 1 below zero F, and we have 2 feet of snow on the ground, and in the streets...

I usually get mine out when there will be several days of 50 plus weather, and no more snow on the horizon. I have to swap places between the snow blower and Yamaha in the garage.

13. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a Yamaha snowblower...

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

15. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Thanks Jetfixer! Great reminder and spring ride checklist.

Warm weather is a ways out for us. Average highs in the low 30's but our current forecast is not even close.....and we have a decent amount of snow on the ground;
    7-day.jpg

Finished up a valve adjust and front to back maintenance on a buddies FJR a week or so ago;
    FJR Maintenance.jpg

Now I am doing the same on my ZG1400 to get it ready for the riding season. Considering my to-do list, it may be a blessing we don't have good weather here as I am not ready yet.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Jetfixer likes this.
  16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i like that snow blower

17. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

It's dropping to -26 Celsius tonight with wind gust about 30km/h. No snow in the forecast but I get the feeling it's going to be late May before I can get the bikes out. Which is probably good, because the shed isn't heated and I can't get any work done right now.

PS: Both my POS snowblowers calfed this winter. :mad: