1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Painting engine block?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by regulator, Apr 27, 2006.

1. DudeBozo

DudeBozo New Member

AS I mentioned in my first post. I don't see a problem with a light coat on the engine head. I did mine, the average temp's here are in the 90's F during the dummer months. I do mostly cruising through town and a little highway driving. I have had no problems with overheating on my bike.

As far as painting the whole block? My bike would'nt look good like that so I never tried.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'm itching to put my engine back in! I want to test this whole thing out with my completely painted engine here in southern California. I'll be sure to post my experiences and data as I get it. More to follow (provided the sky doesn't fall).

3. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

[​IMG]

The block on my bike was completely bare oxidized aluminum, so I bought some flat black high heat paint and applied it with some artists brushes (no overspray that way). I also did the headers, which were rusty fom riding in the early spring when the salt had not yet washed away. No flaking or cracking in over a year of riding. In retrospect, I probably would have gone with the glossy stuff though.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Very impressive after a year of service. Recall the brand and product name?

5. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

[​IMG]

Tremclad is a product for the Canadian market, a very common brand of paint. Looks like it's a Rustoleum product. I used a pint can (or metric equivalent!) with some cheap brushes. It was actually a pretty relaxing exercise, in comparison to all the masking and overspray worries associated with aerosol paint. The only place it failed was on the turbo case, which runs near 800C, well above the 650C rating of the paint. Needless to say, the engine itself would be a pool of molten aluminum well below 650C, so the paint should be near indestructible.