1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cold Blooded, or other problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tabaka45, May 1, 2019.

1. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

'85 XJ700N. 18,000 miles, totally stock. Bike runs perfectly when totally warmed up. Idles at approx 1250 when fully warm. When sitting for a day or so it starts fairly easily, but the longer it sits the harder it is to get it started, even let it sit with prime on for a couple of minutes. Upon starting it idles at about 900-950 with no choke or enrichment. It has a tendency to idle for a minute or so and then cut off. Starts again easily but until it warms up fully it may cut off at idle. Today I rode about 10 miles and had lunch--about 1 hour. It started easily and idled around 1,000 or so. But when I stopped about 30-40 seconds later it cut off. Started easily and stopped about a mile down the road and it stopped again. Little harder to start this time. From then on it ran perfectly and idled at about 1,250. Do I just have a cold blooded bike or might there be something else going on? (plugs look great and have about 5,000 on them. valves in spec and carbs cleaned and synced 2-3 years ago. pilots set with colortune a little on the lean side.)

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

What is the outside temperature. I bought my XJ550 new, and it was cold blooded from the start. It was also set to run somewhat lean from the factory, as I believe they all were.

Try setting it a tad bit richer, when I did, it seemed to help cold starts and idling until warmed up. A "dime's width" of adjustment to idle mix can make a big difference when running on the edge.

3. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

it is about 75 degrees today. I may try the "dimes width" setting to see if it helps. But my plugs really look good at the present setting.